Deluxe, What does it really mean? What were ALL the options?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofufi

Reaction score
I was quite surprised to notice that a rear speaker was an optional extra:

68busbrochure8.jpg

Anyone know where this was fitted? :)

I also suspect the term 'Deluxe' means different options depending on market? :)

Yeah I guess coz mine isn't a deluxe and has a lot of the features above...

I always assumed they specced some busses from factory with some options and then buyers could spec more specific options so there is no 'definitive' deluxe?

I think the above is a USA brochure - I'm not sure if 8 seats were ever an option over there :)

The French brochure, for example, lists 8 and 9 seater options, but no 7 seater: (apologies for the large image)

page_1.jpg

The UK price list definitely lists a Kombi, microbus, and microbus Deluxe. I don't know what the differences would have been, and it doesn't tell you...

1.jpg

Differences between the '73 and the '73 Deluxe are given in the brochure:

6.jpg

You can find a lot more here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/type2_2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also notice that it show 7 and 9 seaters but my 68 is an 8 seater.......

but that could just be efficiency in producing the brochure - its shows the regular 7 seat layout and the maximum 9 seat layout with 8 seats being achieved either by ordering only a full width folding middle seat option or a cab width bench option.. saves pointless text wasting space on the page, err much like this post reply!

A lot of the stuff that gets labelled as 'deluxe' is just standard microbuses spec.
My van's a microbus and it's got trim on the bulkheads behind the seats, cool air vents on the cab doors for the cargo area, warm air vents at the rear of the cargo floor, vinyl trim round the windows, all stuff that regularly gets labelled as deluxe.

I've got a late deluxe bus coming in next week for some welding, it's got the late, late deluxe trim that's in line with the door handles, god knows why vw mixed it down there, it looks much better on the bulge line.

Obvious one is chrome rear 1/4 lights on delux models along with chrome inserts in the window rubbers.
Mine is a standard microbus and has front door armrests/vent things, painted 1/4lights, 2 tone cards, leatherette upholstery and glovebox lid (non-locking)

My 72 sunroof deluxe came with pretty much all the usual extras but hasn't got any opening quarter windows at the back!! I've only ever seen 2 other uk 72 sunroof busses and they didn't have them either??
I've seen some strange stuff too like belt line trim that carried on round the front panel and chrome trim on the back lights of a crossover though these could have been homemade (unless someone knows different)
Oh, and mine has chrome trim on the interior panels, not sure if that's a deluxe only thing or not.

BigG said:
My 72 sunroof deluxe came with pretty much all the usual extras but hasn't got any opening quarter windows at the back!! I've only ever seen 2 other uk 72 sunroof busses and they didn't have them either??
I've seen some strange stuff too like belt line trim that carried on round the front panel and chrome trim on the back lights of a crossover though these could have been homemade (unless someone knows different)
Oh, and mine has chrome trim on the interior panels, not sure if that's a deluxe only thing or not.

I think the opening windows was a 'hot weather destination' option, but like everything, you could have had them in siberia if you ordered them:)
The chrome trim on interior panels is a deluxe thing.

Latest posts