Dash Cam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
After a recent coming together with another vehicle, I am considering getting a dash camera. Any views on which one would be best for a camper?

Thanks...

I recently bought a Transcend dashcam (for daily).

Wasn't the cheapest, but I wanted to avoid wasting time with crappy Chinese rubbish.

Seems good, you install and forget about it, it comes on/off with ignition/cigarette lighter, and video quality is fine in daylight and nightime.

Its worth considering how you can get power to rearview mirror without trailing cables - on a modern car it was easy with the big door and windscreen rubber seals, may not
be so easy on a bus...

I would not worry too much about the quality of the video. I bought a cheapo dashcam for my daughter's car - a Streetwize one on offer from Amazon I think. Her car was hit when she was overtaking a parked car and the 3rd party claimed she had pulled out of a parking space. The insurers said 50:50 until they saw the footage. The video did not show the other car, was not of great quality, but gave a clear indication of how my daughter was driving, the road position and the point of impact. On seeing the footage, the insurers agreed that the 3rd party was at fault within 5 minutes. The camera was worth every penny.

slow-lane-Matt said:
....... but I wanted to avoid wasting time with crappy Chinese rubbish........

I have fitted cheap chinese rubbish cameras to my daily and both my kids cars over 6 months ago and so far can't complain. Video is 1080 and not bad quality at all and is even pretty good at night with just the headlights and no street lights.

These are the ones I have fitted: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-1...850964?hash=item3d07527ad4:g:AQ4AAOSwl9BWMKu3

I know the ad says 720 but they are actually 1080 and with the best offer option I bought them for a tenner. Just need a micro SD card and you are good to go.
Small and discrete, fitted behind the mirror and is pretty much fit and forget. The only down side is they do not have a built in screen so you have to connect to an external screen to set the date and time etc. I can live with that.

spacebiscuit said:
madman said:

Who or what determines when these record, do you have to manually start a recording everytime you get in the car or does it fill the sd card then start again recording 24/7?

Thanks,

Rob.

they record over old footage, as you don't need it unless an incident occurs. It just loop records. If you have a crash or incident, then you can isolate the time etc and extract the video when you get home.

PSG said:
spacebiscuit said:
madman said:

Who or what determines when these record, do you have to manually start a recording everytime you get in the car or does it fill the sd card then start again recording 24/7?

Thanks,

Rob.

they record over old footage, as you don't need it unless an incident occurs. It just loop records. If you have a crash or incident, then you can isolate the time etc and extract the video when you get home.

Correct, they record in short sections, 1, 2, or 5 minute chunks, when the card is full it overwrites the oldest. They switch on with the ignition and off again when you turn off the car.

bizzarly i was thinking about this on my drive to work in the bay, I was overtaken earlier in a built up area by a van driver who nearly caused an accident, he decided he couldnt wait, I was doing 30mph, but not quick enough for him, so he goes on the wrong side of the road, on coming bus ahead, both bus driver and I had to brake to allow him through the gap.

Totally worth it when I caught him up 10 seconds later at the red light and stayed with him until the motorway....what a chump. :roll: :roll: :D

I appreciate these van drivers have many deliveries to make first thing and are probably under a great deal of pressure by the office to keep to time slots, but its still no excuse for sloppy driving.

In fact, I'm fairly certain if I was in the Golf doing the same 30 mph this wouldnt have happened, just because its a campervan it's assumed to be a slow moving vehcile, not really much of a case when doing 30 in 30 zone.

had their been an incident a camera would have been most useful today!

oh well, have a good day all :D :D .

I have a transcend pro in my daily driver. Not bothered about trailing cables as I tend to take it out and put it in whichever vehicle I am driving at the time.

Image quality is excellent - day or night. It has an auto-record function when it detects an accident as well.

Not the cheapest as has been mentioned but certainly worth the money for the peace of mind. It will pay for itself if I ever have a contested accident, which is what happened to me a few years back when a delivery van hit me head-on. Could only get 50:50 pay out even though I had completely stopped in the road and he skidded into the front of my car. Police don't want to know unless someone is seriously injured so it's down to the insurance companies to decide.

Yes have transcend one here ...had it a year and this Wednesday was behind a car that was involved in a head on crash ...all captured on video and top quality image .easy to use and with a 32 gig card you get 2 hours of footage ...I have it set so it's in 5 minute chunks I get my insurance lower by 20 quid

Yes have transcend one here ...had it a year and this Wednesday was behind a car that was involved in a head on crash ...all captured on video and top quality image .easy to use and with a 32 gig card you get 2 hours of footage ...I have it set so it's in 5 minute chunks I get my insurance lower by 20 quid

.....This is the quality from Transcend...

Footage shows what happens when you drive through a car park height limiter with a bike on a roof carrier!

I was hoping to see more and at least get £250 from You've Been Framed, to maybe part cover the costs of bike/car/roof rack/bike carrier damage, as it is you hear the
damage and have to let your imagination fill in the gaps.

Still debating if this is grounds for divorce....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0xJwcWuHwo&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slow-lane-Matt said:

Footage shows what happens when you drive through a car park height limiter with a bike on a roof carrier!

I was hoping to see more and at least get £250 from You've Been Framed, to maybe part cover the costs of bike/car/roof rack/bike carrier damage, as it is you hear the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0xJwcWuHwo&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video comes up as private.

Trikky2 said:
slow-lane-Matt said:

Video comes up as private.

That's what I got too :shock: I just thought it was me being dim again :lol: And we was looking forward to the crunching sounds . ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Oh, maybe not a divorce, just extra privileges maybe ;) :lol: ;)

Latest posts