CV joint bolt problem help!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthebin

Reaction score
dear all

my CV joint bolts keep working loose!!!

they are bolts from JK they have washers and they have boot flange plates and a bit of lock tight for good measure

any ideas please please please as i don't fancy loosing my drive shaft and i have come close today !!

thanks in advance

JTB

i haven't done the cv on an earlybay but i have done the t25 on the cv joint were your ring of bolts go in you have small link plates usually 2 bolts to a plate there should be a small tab on the plate that you bend up\in to lock against the bolt head to stop it turning if you're plates don't have them then getting some that do could be the answer hope this helps

Hmm.. Thats unusual. The bolts (early ones are allen and later ones are star drive AFAIR.)

They do indeed have small spreader plates on the bolts, in pairs. Then theres washers under each bolt head which are fine tooth, spring steel locking washers.

If you have these correctly in place and torqued up to 25 ft/lb then they should not come loose.

Trikky2 said:
Hmm.. Thats unusual. The bolts (early ones are allen and later ones are star drive AFAIR.)

They do indeed have small spreader plates on the bolts, in pairs. Then theres washers under each bolt head which are fine tooth, spring steel locking washers.

If you have these correctly in place and torqued up to 25 ft/lb then they should not come loose.
sorry pal they are allen bolts on a t25 aswell :oops:

they are strech bolts and you usually get new ones in a cv kit once they have been reused ie streched they have a tendency to come loose, try locktite or some other thread locking glue, works for me.

gee said:
sorry pal they are allen bolts on a t25 aswell :oops:

Ah - interesting - I didnt know they had gone back to allens again.
Later bays all had star drive bolts - I know because I had to go out and buy one of those new fangled sockets to undo the blasted things :lol:

right part two you lot

i had a look at my bolts and they were allen keys and also they had a thred to the head of the bolt.

speaking to different people this thread that is not required might provide further pressure on the bolts therfore causing it to loosen.

therfore i looked on the JK website and found these CV bolts with star heads

bolt.jpg

so i ordered a load and also a load of washers

everthing arrived today and the bolts are threaded right to the head

should this make a difference?? i rang JK and they said no but they would

help again please

JTB

Latest posts