Curtain track

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt100

Reaction score
Hi... nearing the end of my Devon renovation and got to the simple task of fitting the aluminium curtain track..... :evil:

.... Ok help please cos I'm getting frustrated and annoyed at my failings!!!.... In particular I'm struggling with the fron two pieces around the bay. My question if anyone can help is:

a.) above rear view mirror and sun visors or immediately below?
b.) how to do it.... the twist and bend seems impossible!!!... I've already destroyed one of the pieces and reluctant to buy replacemet until I know the method!

Appreciate any help from anyone who's done this and can point me in the right direction.... or should I just ditch the aluminium and go plastic which must be more bendy!!

Advise sought!!

Yes I remember fighting with this many years ago.

It is possible to do it with one piece of aluminum "silent gliss" which passes between the sunvisors and windscreen and makes a small hump over the mirror stalk.

Patience is the key. Go slow, a bit at a time and bend it gently with only your hands. Keep offering it up to check progress. When you have the shape you will need to open up the slider gap a little on the bends where it closes up.

I've seen it done two different ways (both in my bus in fact). When we first got it, we had one continuous track that wrapped around the whole cab area and one curtain, this was good because you don't get any gaps in the curtain when it's closed. We've just finished the restoration and VWorks did it with two separate pieces of track with a small gap behind the rear view mirror and the two curtains come together at the gap. This looks neater when the curtains are open because you have a small curtain behind both the drivers and passenger's seats rather than one big curtain bunched up behind the passenger seat...just depends what you prefer I guess. The way I've seen the track installed is to start at the seat and work towards the mirror. All the best!

My bus doesn't have a curtain track along the front. Instead it has prestud clips. So when the curtain is not in use its folded neatly and put into the glove box out of the way :)

Another option maybe?......

Thank you for the advice.... will try again with the silent gloss aluminium track. Will be doing it in two pieces so will have the join behind the rear view mirror. Just to confirm then that the track will be immediately underneath the sun visors Just above the windscreen and then hence half an inch or so above the doors. Also will take the advise of starting at the rear and working forward. To be honest that isn't far off the original way I tried (and failed with!!). The angle after the bend just seemed to too severe to twist upwards without the whole thing collapsing and breaking.... guess I just need to be a little gentle fingered!! One last question.... which way up for the track, screw holes at the top or bottom?

Thank you again for the replies.

Screw holes top.

To get the twist out after the bend you may need a bit of "easing" with pliers TBH. Just wrap some cloth between the pliers jaws and the rail to prevent marks.

:)

Sorry im late in jumping in on this 'un been away
Have you sorted it yet as i have some pics of mine somewhere on here i can look up?
Cheers

Gav

Just a big thank you to those that answered my question on curtain track.

An area to note for anyone reading this in the future is 'holes at the top'..... bends easy this way..... bends very badly and will make you curse if attempting with holes at bottom! I did it in two pieces with the meet behind the reverse view mirror.

.....and that is my Devon interior completely restored!!

Glad to hear you have got it done :)

Its certainly a lot easier and quicker to close the curtains this way.

Latest posts