Balls - I think my gearbox is acting up!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subheatadey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was getting all excited about getting off this year so i had a shakedown yesterday and booted it up the A64, It started acting strange it seemed to loose power and feel tight then loosen off so my mind was racing. Then i had a puncture so i though it may have something to cause it but after starting off again the same thing - the engine is fine good oil pressure and running souper cool. Anyway, i basically coasted back as it got tight and not so tight and i have relieved after 40 miles of getting back home. So I reversed into the drive and took my brother out and guess what it didn't misbehave.
I think reversing it pushed back whatever it was in the gearbox So i think I need to find someone who is knowledgeable on gearboxes and look at it and recondition it - i would appreciate anybody's advice as I am keen to use it a lot this year. I guess if anyone knows of a 'good' gearbox at reasonable cost then that would be an option too but there is always the possibility I could get the same issues - my gearbox is the original box.

So guys any advice or thoughts as to what it maybe - differential? and anyone know of a gearbox or someone i can take it to to recondition it in West/North Yorkshire

I know its weird but I've had sticking brakes and collapsed lines in the past but no the brakes were fine all running cool and free wheeling. I think I will fill it with fresh gearbox oil and look out for a spare gearbox - does anyone know Of a decent gearbox ?

My current thoughts are the bearing case has collapsed, having dropped the gearbox oil and jacked it up and turn it over by hand in gear I feel there is ball case not behaving!

No, checked the driveshafts they seem to be behaving, I repacked them a couple of years ago. I was talking to a mechanic who said it could be a ball race collapsing. I need to find a decent gearbox so i can swap it over then i can have the fun of pulling it apart and seeing how all them gubbings work 😀

If you do go down the road of repairing the gearbox. John Walklett is your man. https://www.facebook.com/vwgearbox/

My gearbox started to sound like a WW2 truck whining away under load. It was a bad output bearing that had also worn the case so it had to be re-machined and a bush fitted. A couple of other bits and new seals put it right again. It wasn't cheap, (what is nowadays!) but it came back looking like a new box. Runs great now.

If you decide to get your box rebuilt, go to cogbox, Pete knows more about vw boxes than anyone on the planet.

If you decide to get your box rebuilt, go to cogbox, Pete knows more about vw boxes than anyone on the planet.
I thought Pete had retired; I haven’t heard of him for a few years. Do you have an address, contact number etc?

I thought Pete had retired; I haven’t heard of him for a few years. Do you have an address, contact number etc?
Pete is still going! He doesn’t race his Fiat any more but is still building boxes. He’s literally just finished a beetle gearbox for me which I’m yet to collect. 020 8842 2580

Yea, I’m a lurker here, I’m a Late Bay guy as you can guess from my user’s name. :)
We don’t mind a ‘lurker’ here at all. I was just up with a load of LateBay peeps in Lutterworth at their Techenders weekend. First day was great on the Friday drive up, but it all went a bit soggy after about midnight Saturday and didn’t let up until we were nearly back to Bristol at three or so in the afternoon.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,nice to hear from you too :)

Latest posts