• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

71/72 bay for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac2ba6

Reaction score
For sale is my 72 crossover bay ,from the bits of info i have found was built late 71 , although not authenticated .I have owned this for just shy of 10 years and has been a really good fun vehicle to own and run , but the time has come to part with her sadly . she currently doesn’t have a mot as i let this expire while i was carrying out the work mentioned below (july 2014 was the last 1 ) taxed until end of may 2015 ( although tax free ) it has passed every mot with no advisories every year i have owned it .
It used to be lowered by about 5-6 inches or so and ran it like this for 9 years but last summer i decided that i wanted some comfort for a change and started the process of putting it back to stock.

The original beam was a cut and turned beam so the only option was to source a new stock beam .
When i changed the beam i went the whole hog and replaced all the ball joints , track rods and ends , drag link , dampner , and any other associated bits , stock wheels with brand new RA08 van rated tyres on it which have probably covered about 20 miles . I also decided that the braking system was getting tired as had a few minor issues with sticking callipers so also started to take a look at the whole system . The engine was up rated to a 1641 based on a good 1300 AB bottom end about 5 years ago useing all new parts for the top end . 2-3 years ago the whole bottom end was replaced inc new crank , bearings mains , thrust , cam , ect and all top quality seals were used including fly wheel , there is no end float , the top end was checked cleaned and reused with new piston rings and 2nd hand new rockers , top end had only really covered about 2000 miles from new . Last year needed to source a new carb and after a few crap aftermarket ones got a professionally rebuilt original solex but has yet to really see any road use apart from the close i live in this still needs to be set up properly as runs a bit lumpy and slightly underpowered but starts and ticks over ok running a acuspark electronic svda dizzy . there is a leisure circuit installed on the engine aswell .
Body work wise its in good condition apart from the window seals could probably do with changeing as there a bit old and there are small signs of surface rust under them but they don’t leak .

The pop top works fine although the bellows are quite old and look a bit tatty but again don’t leak even when up and the struts are a bit weak but still ok .
There is an original style interior with a ¾ rock and roll bed , gas cooker , sink and water pump all of which work but could benefit from a tidy up . Under the back seat is a massive battery and although not connected to the leasure circuit once charged up via a charger it easily powers the fridge ,sink ,stereo and other things for a good long weekend .
Basically things left to do are brake overhaul ( parts included ( except pads )
Engine needs tuneing and a service ( although oil was changed twice a year every year )
And due to the front end work the geometry ( tracking camber ect ) needs setting up
Drivers door underneath will need a bit of attention

This van comes with a massive history file dateing back to about 1980 and makes an interesting read
Comes with a drive away awning which is in good condition and looks like the original 70’s awning although a new replica , have a host of spare parts which will more than likely come with it if wanted .

This is a genuine reason for sale as the end of last year we had another new arrival and my time just seems to of vanished and we are now having to move house to accommodate the new little one hence the sale , i may be interested in a px with a working beetle that i can squirrel away for a few years but need the sale more than i do another vw .
Asking for £7500.00 ono but am open to reasonable offers
But would rather keep it and trailer to my new property and store it if i get nothing but time wasters .

AS you have gathered it will need to be trailered away .
Thanks for looking
George
Please contact me for a number either via a pm or email me at [email protected]

Located reddtich w'mids

Pics as follows
how it used to look

at the moment :D

forgot pic of the front :roll: will get one if it ever tops raining :D

Latest posts