1969 steering box knock?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucram

Reaction score
Hi all

We've got a knock on the steering when you move the steering wheel from left to right, not actually turning the road wheels when it stationary. I've not really noticed it, but that said the van hasn't had much use in the last four years and my partner who's van it is says its always been like that??!. I've been underneath the front to check for any play in the ball joints etc and all seems ok, but a knocking sound does seem to come from inside the steering box, so is it goosed, dangerous to use the van and needs replacing ASAP?

It does not effect the actually steering of the van when out driving, it's just I noticed a knocking when I was centralising the wheels whilst I was stationary on the drive.

I would notice this now as we were going off in it today for a couple nights to Whitby, looks like we'll be in the tent and using the Land Rover and the good lady won't be happy!

Any thoughts and advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Marcus.

Forgot to say, while the steering is heavy (maybe I've got use to power steering on modern cars) it's quite smooth in its action with no grinding or tight spots.

Cheers.

What condition is the steering coupling in?
Could be that making the noise rather than the box itself

Have a look at my thread here at when I changed mine so you know what to look for

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These boxes knocked like that when new. It's a bit like end float. If you can hear it but can't see the play then its fine.

I would check the oil level too, when my old box used to leak you'd hear it knocking more as it got dry.

Latest posts