Dust seal for torsion arms on a narrowed beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaonar

Reaction score
Hello to you all.
I tried to find any information about this subject using "dust seal" or "torsion arms" but I got any results that could help me.

Problem: after cutting my torsion leaves, this is how my torsion arms look once in place (in this picture, leaves are not present). Maybe I just cut them a bit more than I should have.
I just don't want to assemble my front suspension without any dust seals here, since I bet there will be a lot of dust and dirt getting directly into the outer bearings.

So, my question is: to anyone that did this, have you used a dust seal here? If so, what kind?

I used the standard seals as these fit well to the arm itself. However, you need to drill the leaves to account for the extra space that the seals require (about a 6mm gap each side from memory). If you’ve already dimpled your leaves as per your picture, it doesn’t look like you’ll have space for this type of seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply, Moseley. However, I do have a question for you: did you use these parts (inside the red circle) and are the dust seals inside them as originally intended?

Should have added, I didn't fit the metal seal-retaining caps, just simply slid the seal onto the arm so that it sits between the arm and the end of the beam. It's not perfect, but the arm does a good job of keeping it located, and I figured it's got to be better than running with no seal.

In an ideal world, the side of the seal that butts up against the beam would be flat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've ran a 5" narrowed beam for years with no dust seals and its not had any detrimental effects to my beam. Lube it regularly and the new grease will push any dust out along with the old grease. King & link dropped spindles are unable to have the link pin seals fitted and again if greased often it's not a problem.

Not saying my opinion should be taken as gospel but my beam had 30k plus miles on it and it was good as new when I stripped it down.

Just for the record I changed the beam for a completely unrelated reason.

Latest posts