Solex 31 PICT-3 Carb Prob

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Any advice would be good guys.

So, on the truck when driving, it pulls really well, but cuts out at every junction - hot or cold (even after doing 100+ miles).

After being left in the barn for a coupe of weeks, I started it, and after warming up, it absolutely stunk of petrol. I looked in the engine bay, and could see fuel was weeping from the carb. Around the inlet fuel pipe, and also from a few seals - but difficult to tell, as obviously there was some condensation too. It was dripping down.

After investigating, i then attempted to start it again, and although the starter spun, it was no where near to starting.

My first thoughts are 2 things:
1) Float needs adjusting/renewing.
2) Air inlet from cleaner, although push on, is at an angle and loose - meaning air might be drawing in here.

I've done a little work on carbs/injection years ago, but these days it's all about the time. The van is stored 7 miles/15mins away from me, with no electric in the building. So after work there's no chance - and weekends are always busy.

So my question is, does anybody have an ideas what might be the problem, and also, what's the direct replacement for this carb? It may be the case i go down the route of a new carb, and then keep this one at home in the garage to fettle and do-up. The engine is a 1600 single port, on a '68 Bay.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_20141011_141304.jpg

IMG_20141011_141252.jpg

IMG_20141011_141314.jpg

Hi Steve , i would advise taking carb off and taking it home to clean it all up and put a rebuild kit on it , before buying another ,
maybe get a new ( main jet ? ) while you have it apart

I have same carb on my 1600 Single Port , and was having issues the rebuild kit sorted it , its was then just a case of getting the idle and mixture correct

Grazy said:
Hi Steve , i would advise taking carb off and taking it home to clean it all up and put a rebuild kit on it , before buying another ,
maybe get a new ( main jet ? ) while you have it apart

I have same carb on my 1600 Single Port , and was having issues the rebuild kit sorted it , its was then just a case of getting the idle and mixture correct

Cheers Grazy. Might have to do that. Where did you get your rebuild kit from, and how long did it take you.

Also, when the fuel inlet pipe is removed to do it, does it need clamping, or does the pump stop it coming through?

Thanks mate.

Im no mechanic so it took me a while but done methodically and cleaned everything along the way

https://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Carb-repair-kit-28-30-31-34-PICT-NOT-31Pict4-or-Type4-111198569Z_act_shop.product_pID_66362.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think i got kit from here , or Machine 7

THINK pipe weeps a bit so catch in a cup and clamp pipe if possible

No worries mate , its what this forum is all about !!

Let us know how you get on !

Latest posts