Leaking fuel filter - advice please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
I had a scare the other day when I started my van and smelt a stronger smell of petrol than normal...jumped out and had a look at the engine...eeek! :shock: One of the jobs I had not got round too had come to bite me - fortunately I'm not driving it at the moment!

I have a fuel filter here:
Engine.jpg

I know I know but it's been there for as long as I've had it (19 years!) and had no trouble...(which is quite amazing really)

I've also seen this underneath which I guess is where it should be
Filter1.jpg

Filter2.jpg

Anyway I saw petrol dripping out of the filter so quickly switched off and tightened the clamp. Seems to have sorted the leak but the braided pipe is sodden and I'm a bit paranoid to drive it until I fit my firetec...Even then it's going straight to the garage to:

1) get the lines replaced with new line
2) remove the filter from the engine bay

My questions are:
1) my local factors can't seem to get the line...I know there's an ebay that does it for quite a lot of £££ but does anyone know an alternative?
2) is the other filter placement sufficient? From reading other posts on the subject it seems to be the normal place.
3) any other thoughts? can I do this myself on the road ( no drive/ garage)?

Also what I meant to say is do you think it will be *safe* to drive? Appreciate it's difficult to judge but what should I check for other than not leaking?

I guess there's a few lessons there and I was very fortunate.
Cheers

1) I use advance fluid solutions, hose:
http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/56mm-saej30-r9-rubber-fuel-injection-hose-627-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
clamps:
http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/11mm---13mm-nut--bolt-mini-fuel-hose-clips-261-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I had 2 metres of hose and 10 clamps last time which was more than enough

2) Yes, other filter placement is good :)

3) I would say so, get the rear jacked up and prefereably on axle stands then it should all be easily accessible. Couple of screw drivers and a stanley knife are all the tools you need. Run the tank down first though and have a largeish container to drain the remainder into.

Thanks for the reply & links - a lot cheaper than I've seen!!
Will get on the case I think and do it at home. I don't keep the tank very full so hopefully can get it all into a container easily enough.
Cheers

Those overbraided hoses are lethal! The rubber hose perishes and the braid hides it until it starts pissing fuel all over your engine bay.

The stuff on the link is the gear you want, plain rubber will all the appropriate ratings. A decent local motor factors should have it in stock.

Its not just dubs. Look at classic car insurance claims. The greatest risk is fire.

Fires caused by dodgy fuel systems and dodgy wiring.

Fix it right or lose it.

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts