late steering box into an early? **I've cracked it nearly**

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radish

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is involved?
My 2nd hand lhd box i brought is actually rhd!! just waiting for the fella to get back and refund hopefully.
So i've read a few people have late boxes in their earlies but how is the question.

Cheers Darius

From memory, it's doable but requires some minor fab work.
Bolt pattern to the chassis is different and think that maybe the inside of the front valance needs a bit of clearancing for the bulkier later box too.

Shows where the late bay bolts are:
28361.jpg

cheers, just read this http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=644402&page=2&highlight=steering+rack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2nd last comment, could be worth a look. just need a late box now.

Random aside, but did you sort returning the RHD box?
If that's not worked out, then may be worth seeing if the steering pin in it is any good - the internals should be the same rhd/lhd....

radish said:
The guy was great he refunded and paid the post back. the worm is different as it corkscrew the opposite way.

Glad to hear that the seller was good about it, hear so many bad tales that good ones are refreshing! :D
It was the pin that I was thinking would be the same but its not a worry now anyway.
Starting to think that may be worth talking to guestgears or taylor machine to see if they could turn up a new pin if they had an old pin and worm as an example....

It's a spreader plate, goes drop arm side of the chassis.
Probably because the hole in the chassis on a late bay is much bigger (you don't need to remove the drop arm to get the box out!).

You've probably seen it but Moler's thread on SSVC for the steering rack, he used the UJs off a 1303 column (happily fairly cheap and easy to come by too...!)
http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39870&hilit=rocket&start=480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have this conversion? it doesn't look like it fits without removing some of the lower inner valance.

Only one of the bolts is out of sync with the original holes so i see no problems with.

Here are the 2 boxes
20120327_202753.jpg

Chassis, the black mark is where the hole needs drilling.
20120327_204600.jpg

Latest posts