Brake pipe ~ upper reservoir res - Master cylinder

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ideally looking for a definitive answer on this topic if poss. I've found many threads on it but never a solution.
So, where did you get the 12mm ID pipe that runs from the upper filler/reservoir to the lower one on top of the master cylinder?

Its a 69 so it has the filler above the kick panel & pedals and originally had a hard plastic pipe which is now cracked and brittle.

I've tried FLAPS,the usual suppliers and went into Pirtek yesterday, I thought if anyone could help,they could - but no. They rung around with no joy. I keep getting offered fuel hose which is not brake fluid compatible. :-/ Looking at it, even if I found another 2nd hand plastic pipe, I've feel more comfortable with a nice fitting compatible hose.
I can't be the only person to have to have replaced it, so anyone got any leads/links or advice or Doris will be going nowhere! :-(

Thanks - Rob

In short looking for brake fluid compatible hose of 11 / 11.5 / 12 mm Internal Diameter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently running beetle blue hose but its a bit of a stretch to get it on the larger T2 fittings.

Heard this place helped out somebody with a similar problem http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPig using Flaptalk

That second one looks ok Tom. I reckon with a bit hot water and wd40 you could get that on a 12mm barbed end. I'll see what advancedfluidsolutions say first though.

Advanced fluid solutions suggest an EPDM pipe.the nearest they have is 13mm.
Trying to do some research on tinternet about EPDM (which is the acronym for what the rubber is composed of).then we just need to find a supplier who sells 12 mm id

found a supplier on ebay who sells 10mm EPDM though - looking promising!

Clips will cope with 1mm on anything other than hard pipes.

Stock hard pipes had rubber inserts fitted between the pipe and the spout.

Trikky2 said:
Clips will cope with 1mm on anything other than hard pipes.

Stock hard pipes had rubber inserts fitted between the pipe and the spout.

Thanks trikky,as always,you have sound advice! I did buy the little rubber seals as I always want to go as near to how VW intended as possible but I found that the hard line was too far gone and the joint was a little too loose for me to have confidence in.

So at least with the jubilee clips we have a little le-way,thats good news - thanks!

I've found 10 mm and 13 mm hose.I'm thinking its better to go with a smaller ID,warm & lubricate and get a snug fit than go with a larger ID and have to clamp it right on - you agree with me Trikky?

Well at the time I could only find the 10mm stuff and stuggled to get it onto the plastic nozzles. I think I had to "distress" the external braiding so the synthetic rubber pipe inside had sufficient space to stretch. This was the blue pipe they sell for Beetles.

Had I been able to find the same "rubber" pipe in 13mm I think I would have gone for that and used suitable clips to make the seal secure.

OK thanks Trikky,i'm gonna go bigger then. I could always supplement the join with gasket sealant of some sort.

Tom, that is the best size and price I've seen so I've bought 2 metres of the 12.5mm ID stuff from hose world! cost £9.25 for 2m including delivery.I'm sure if it was in the JK or Heritage catalogue it would be more!

I'll let you know how it goes and post up a pic of the fitting - should be great ,I'm sure with 0.5 tolerance a jubilee clip with hold that lovely!

Well done mate - Regards,Rob

OK Chaps, I believe,between us we've cracked it! Big Thanks to Tom for putting me onto hoseworld when even Pirtek drew a blank :mrgreen:

I bought some of the EPDM (brake fluid resistant) rubber hose from hose world. not only is it the right stuff & the right size - its also the cheapest option!

So what you need is 1 metre (you'll only use approx 85cm of that) of 12.5mm I.D. EPDM hose at the bottom of this page,£2.52 inc vat per metre.....

http://hoseworld.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehoseworld%2ecom%2f&WD=epdm&PN=EPDM_RUBBER_TUBING%2ehtml%23aEPDM_2d12_2e5#aEPDM_2d12_2e5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is my top reservoir on my '69. Some pics to show you the fit.it's a good fit but you will definatley need a jubilee clip each end to pinch up the 0.5mm difference.Will be the same at the Master cylinder end as well.....

brakefluidrespipefitted.jpg

brakefluidrespipefitted1-1.jpg

brakefluidrespipefitted3.jpg

brakefluidrespipefitted2-1.jpg

Good stuff. Will keep this in mind when I eventually get to rebuilding my Bug. The vans pipe was fine when swap ing out the master cylinder last weekend...

Cheers
Jim

Good work Rob, I'll be doing mine soon (once I weld the bit the master cylinder attaches to, repair the front valance the pipe goes through, finish the chassis section 'graft', install a cab floor, wheel arch & seat tub....

...oh)

They may have invented an entirely new type of rubber pipe by then :roll:

Just in case anyone is looking for these again as I am, the link above is broken, but this will take you to the correct page.

I have just cried a little at their postage rates though, but needs must!! :shock:

http://hoseworld.com/cgi-bin/sh000005.pl?WD=epdm&PN=EPDM_RUBBER_TUBING%2ehtml#aEPDM_2d12_2e5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Brake-hose-low-press-per-metre-Black-was-blue-N0203501_act_shop.product_pID_55607.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

people have used the above

Latest posts