rear chassis notch pictures??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71dormy

Reaction score
after some pictures of rear chassis notches?im after anyone who's used a hole saw really rather than lifting the rear leg itself.well any pics will do just need a few ideas :)
cheers

bit like this sideshow ? :msn4:
slamwerksspringplates.jpg

i'm trying to find dave's crossover build, he did his rear notch's with a hole saw. I have different 3mm thick steal tubes to weld in if you need some mate

This sort of thing Austin ???
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18404&start=140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)

This is what you wanna do
fce0b7de.jpg

b7578283.jpg

2d48b792.jpg

68bba667.jpg

8bd076d9.jpg

ff8ac2ee.jpg

Thats one of the best ways ive seen it done an how i plan todo mine

Rob

Grazy said:
This sort of thing Austin ???
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18404&start=140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)

like this idea as not over keen on cutting the whole leg away.will have a look the weekend and keep the pics coming ;)

If I'd known Dude I'd have brought my hole saw and welder to VanFest :D

It's not too dificult to do, just get the centre in the right place, weld the bracing on first and away you go :)

0294.jpg

0295.jpg

0296.jpg

0297.jpg

0298.jpg

sweet mate.any chance you could measure the distance from edge of the notch to the bump stop mounts? :mrgreen:

You can get the bus down to within 10mm of the bottom of the heat exchangers with notches this size, typically thats a 3 spline drop , and with the kick of the spring plates a 4 spline .

Can i just remind people that although modding a bus with the little half moon notches is a quick and easy way to get down you take away half the strength of the rear chassis and create a '' Weak '' point .
I.E If the vehicle was involved in a rear shunt from behind then the bus would probaly fold inwards at the weakest point ..... The little half moons you've welded in .........

Thats the reason for welding in the 50mm x 100mm box section above the rear chassis notching to the chassis and the rear shock mount . This then restores the strength that you have taken out by putting in the notches . Also please ensure all the steel is clean before welding as this gives better strength to your welds . Personally if you can borrow a 190 amp welder this will be a better option for penetration as i firmly dont believe that a 130 is strong enough to do the job .

As you can see in the above picture Evil Ben has also welded a brace behind the torsion housing to the chassis leg to restore some of the lost strength when removing the torsion housing castings .

### Please remember that any idiot can modify a vehicle but it takes a good guy a while longer to modify it safely ###

Take a quick look at this its taken from the Citrus Valley build thread

DSC03838.jpg

DSC03845.jpg

DSC03846.jpg

With this much notching It will get real low, But realistically I want to drive the shit outta of it too so it will probably never get as far down as it Could .NOTE: Ive yet to flash any of the welding with the grinder. I want to clean up the welding and generally tidy it up But not too much as I still want all the strengh too ;D

DSC03847.jpg

Thats the A arm for the Irs so that would put the Hub way Up into the rear arch ;)

## NOTE : Also when getting down this low, Your gunna run into Other problems like the A arm hitting the top lip of the inner mounting bracket, So with a bit of radius clearancing its soon sorted it . ##

Ive had to cut the rhs brake flexi hose bracket off as its mounted on top of the rhs inner A arm mounting bracket and ive got to now make it taller to clear the new radiusing. I will have to raise the bracket that holds the T piece for the rear brake fluid too as its mounted on the Lhs A arm mounting bracket ::) ::)

DSC03837.jpg
;D

Hi Gadget, can I ask a couple of questions please? 1) do you remove the inner torsion bar to chassis bracing? looks like from one of the photo's that these have been removed? if so, is the bracing you weld above the notch just single chassis rail width? 2) you mention adding extra bracing to the torsion bar? not sure where this is unless I've missed it in the photo's, can you give more detail. Many thanks, Nick

Latest posts