Rolling a Van - & underside work. *Final Update*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Thanks to a very generous chap who has hired out his chassis rolling frames, I have been able to use them to access the underside of my van and get some pre-winter rust-proofing done - thought ya might like to see some pictures...

Having sorted the front and back of the van, I just had to clean up and re-paint the middle section of the underside. It is all pretty solid, but wanted to be sure. I had got fed up with trying to clean off those corrugated floors when lying underneath the van, and as for welding...

As I don't intend to spend too long on the job, I decided to do it out in the car park. Last week was sunny, so got away with it, but weekends rain has not helped.

Anyway...

002.jpg

Van on Rollers

001.jpg

Adapter needed for wide wheel spacing

003.jpg

...it's a start!

Now I had no idea how these things were going to work with my van. Van is fully road-worthy and MOT'ed...most pics I have seen have been rolling a shell. Little bit scared about glass cracking, twisting, and the heavy pop-top on my van, so this was going to be a bit of an adventure.

Used and engine crane to lift the van, but where to strap it....? Started up using the rear axle torsion tube bits, but crane clashed with van as we started jacking, so ended up putting the strop through the wheel and bolting back on the van - seems to work really well:

004.jpg

To start the lift off I used a jack at the front of the van at the same time, to help clear the crane arm

006.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

Still had no idea what was going to happen - had visions of the van crashing over on its side, with all glass shattering...

We got the van to what seemed to be a balance point:

008.jpg

[We actually did a run-through the previous night when there happened to be 5 of us around helping - just in case, but it was too dark for pics then]

010.jpg

So once we had got to this point, we took a deep breath and pushed...

...with no drama at all the van slowly rolled over the last few degrees and settled with a gentle bounce as the j-tubes flexed. Easy!

012.jpg

011.jpg

A few tyres stopped the van rocking, and an axle stand under the tubes on the other side provided safety.

013.jpg

As you can see - access is now a joy! You can also see that I had whipped the engine out. Probably didn't need to in hindsight, but as I had no idea what was going to happen, it was no big deal.

So, it was this middle section I wanted to sort out.

014.jpg

Clean off crappy underseal, weld where required and re-paint to match the work I had already done on the front. Job has a tight time factor as I have just lost the use of the garage the van lived in, so want to get it sorted asap and back on the wheels. Don't have the time for an 'over-winter' resto job. Just want to make van secure and use her...
Made a good start at the end of last week and took a few days off. Old underseal comes off ok with a bit of heat and scraping, followed by white spirit. Paint underneath is actually solid - especially in the centre section, so I'm leaving that on. As normal, sills and out-riggers are a little more 'weathered', but sound after some basic (and in some places a bit crude) repair work (done by someone else) a few years ago.

Weekend was a wash out and I was gutted to see my hitherto dry van get soaking wet. I got a JK cover to stop water getting in everywhere else whilst on her side, which works well.

015.jpg

So far, cleaned off 2/3rds of underside, used MachineMart rust beater and then red-oxide to coat. This does a good job of not minding if the surface isn't spotless, and IMO works well.

016.jpg

Halogen light is giving a little bit of warmth to the metal and paint.

I have decided to use spray underseal on the central section (where all the metal pipes run and access is a bit more of a bugger) I have then painted over this. I did this as I didn't have to take off every bit of what was already there - it was in pretty good nick - remember I have tight time limits....

017.jpg

Yesterday I managed to get the paint on the 'top' and middle sections - I am using Rustoleum/Combi-Colour light grey. It was dark, so will take pics tomorrow and upload. It is looking good though.

I have decided to fit belly pans. Controversial I know, but I am not going to weld them on, but rather bolt them on. I'll make sure the chassis is painted and fully sealed first, will also paint the pans, and use them to stop crud getting thrown up in all the nooks and crannies...but won't seal them in. That way, they will drain, and I know that what is behind them is solid and protected...

Taken covers off to give van a bit of an airing:

020.jpg

018.jpg

...more to follow!

Almost forgot - very brief camera phone video of final tipping/rolling moment to show how gentle it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTX26u2l-7s

Notice the way the engine crane just rolls forward as the van goes over.
Rolling van back is just a reversal of the process. Tips easily over by hand until the engine crane catches the weight, then lowered down gently. I'll get some better vid of the whole process when I tip iy back to enable me to toll the van over the other way...

Brilliant! Good shots of one being used and the process of getting it over.. I was considering buying some for my project but I need the cash for other things.. I did get the bus shot-blasted by a local farmer who just rolled it over using his tractor onto some hay!!! :lol:

Cheers guys - added a few more pics taken this morning of paint so far...

It is one of those things that until you try it, it sounds terrifying (in terms of crashing the bus!) buthave to say the rollers have been designed well in terms of radius of curves etc and they do work! Got some advice from people who had used them, but couldn't find any pictures of the process, so I thought I'd take some whilst I do it and get 'em up!

Will post more as I go, and maybe make a video of the process when I'm done...

You could always take the chav approach......... Handbrake turn into a kerb on a sainsbury car park :D

Looks good that Angus , I can imagine your fears of rolling the van , but glad it all went well . I have seen one of these in action and they are a great piece of kit - Well done , looking forward to more pictures , Oh ill show this to Ammo too :)

Wow! You've been busy there! Is that a new heater tube? Like what you're doing with the different coatings...I see what you mean when the van was at the critical point though, think I would've thought the same looking at the size of the tubular sections ...the whole van held by a few bolts??? :shock: Great photos too ! Do you think the engine would leak oil if it was still in or do people roll em ok ? Will there be more pics ? ...And where can i hire a set? !!!

Angus

Good to see your eye for detail etc is still there :mrgreen: , dare I ask hows the 7?

Nice job your doing there and interesting to see the roll over bars in use.

Thanks for posting. :)

ps. on image No.013, have you removed the deck panel above the engine or is that an optical illusion? It just looks as though one can see straight into the van.

Seriously considering one of these myself,a guy near me makes them.

Figured you would have to drain engine oil if the engine was in,did you drain the brake fluid?? wouldnt want that all over the interior!

Nice job your making of your van 8)

vwvanman0 said:
Seriously considering one of these myself,a guy near me makes them.

What's the cost by the way (sorry for hijacking the thread!!) :?:

The company that makes them is called CJ Autos and are in Oldham, I had one a few years ago that I used for events and stupidly sold it, wish I hadn't done now. Price varies quite a bit between the basic one and the Autovip roller, have a look here: http://www.cjautos.org.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/cjautos?opendocument&part=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking about buying one again and offering a hire service on it,

Graham L said:
The company that makes them is called CJ Autos and are in Oldham, I had one a few years ago that I used for events and stupidly sold it, wish I hadn't done now. Price varies quite a bit between the basic one and the Autovip roller, have a look here: http://www.cjautos.org.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/cjautos?opendocument&part=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking about buying one again and offering a hire service on it,

Please do, I would be interested. 8)

Latest posts