Rolling a Van - & underside work. *Final Update*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graham L said:
The company that makes them is called CJ Autos and are in Oldham

Know of them as I am originally from that neck of the woods - bit pricey though :roll:

Want to see what price vwvanman01 can do them for ;)

All i meant in my previous post was i am thinking of buying one of these,and as c j autos is near me i could maybe go round and see one in the flesh so to speak.

They are kinda pricey tho,a hire service would be brilliant Graham 8)

Graham that would be a superb solution to those that want one for a weekends work once or twice a year..... ;)

Cunning

Give me a bl**dy chance, how desperate are you for one :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Easy Graham, i wasn't rushing you, i was just carrying on the conversation and support for you to start a rental service..

OK Cunning, Sorry I thought you were rushing me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Graham L said:
OK Cunning, Sorry I thought you were rushing me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No sir, see how it could have come accross like that but i was just bumping the thread up and generally supporting the idea :mrgreen:

Been a busy week or two!
It is quite possible that I could not have picked a worst week in terms of the weather over the last 7 days, and this has obviously slowed things down! Still - almost there. Just a little bit of welding and some final painting left, then insulate central tube, and attach belly pans:

About to lower and roll the other way up....
022.jpg

024.jpg

This view just isn't right!
023.jpg

Weather protection:
026.jpg

025.jpg

Painting belly pans (red oxide) - trying to apply some warmth with halogen light!
027.jpg

Will take some more pics tomorrow...

Cheers - gutted the van has had to be out in this wet weather whilst so exposed, but managed to keep it sheltered a bit.

I'm going to rivet the belly pans on (secure, but easy to remove) with some foam tape inbetween van and pans, and silicon sealer along the edges of the central ones - I'll take pics that will show this better. I want to fit these to stop crap being flung up in all the gaps underneath, rather than for rigidity, although that will come I guess. But certainly not going to wld them on.
I do have a thought of mounting a propex heater inbetween the floor and belly pan aswell, if it fits, but not sure about this yet...

angus said:
... with some foam tape inbetween van and pans, and silicon sealer along the edges of the central ones

Wouldn't advise foam tape - will hold the moisture really well. :(
Better of using seam sealer or something along those lines.

Yeah, I was wondering if that may be an issue - mght just stick to a bead of silicon, partly to reduce the possibility of vibration...

Think silicone against metal (I know you will have painted it) is not good to, peels off over time, use Polyurethane Sealer.

Another sunny day (at last) and last full day of use for the rolling frames, so had to crack on!
I had finished painting most of the underside yesterday, having welded a few more bits; hole in (both) rear wheel arches, corners of the sills (rear) and some bits around the rear torsion tubes/chassis rail.

028.jpg

029.jpg

Some of the bits at the rear need tidying, but I can do that when the van is back upright, so will revisit. Didn't want to splash paint around (on shocks etc) but brushes and time limited!!

Now onto the belly pans.
Following gninnams advice, I have used Tigerseal as a 'gasket' and riveted the pans into place. Only needed a little shaving off the ends to make 'em fit. I had already painted the 'inside' surface with the rustoleum:

031.jpg

This shows the pan 'open' - about to be folded up and fixed, if that makes sense -so you are looking at the inside surface.

030.jpg

032.jpg

Gets a bit dark now - should wait until mornig for decent pics....

So - side belly pans in and sealed. I'll paint outside tomorrow first thing, and will add drainage holes later. At least I am happy that what is underneath them is totally sealed and painted.

Before I fit the middle pans, I needed to insulate the new heater tube I had welded in a few months ago. Original insulation was surprisingly good condition - the vinyl cover even 'un-popped', but it was obviously past its best.
I have decided to use this foil 'bubble wrap'. It is closed cell, so should not soak up water like a foam or wool would, although I am aware condensation may be an issue. Wrapped around 3 times and tie-wrapped on it works well. Bit of fiddling around some of the pipes. Have used foil tape to help seal and fix. Remember this will be covered by the belly pans. As long as the foil is not touching the belly pan, they should stay dry - I thin they will work fine.

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

..getting there!

Looking great 8)
Liking the foil bubble wrap stuff - should keep the heat from leaking out alright ;) Also, if sealed properly and the tube fully protected, condensation should not be to much of a problem.

Cheers mate, and thanks for the sealant tip!
That foil roll is found in B&Q - they has 2-for-1 a few weeks ago, but I missed it! So now it is about £18 a roll

- SO GET IT FROM SCREWFIX - £8 PER ROLL (slightly shorter)

- I used less that one roll for the central tube, and have enough to use for the 'Y' shaped bits front an back -actually, may not use at engine without an outer cover - might be too hot - not sure yet!

It is very easy stuff to use - the foil gives it a slight 'memory' so easy to form/wrap around. I shall certainly be using it elsewhere for insulating. It is meant as 'relective' insulation behind rads - in this use I am really just making most of the bubble-wrap air gaps etc - but its pretty tough stuff. Should stick onto the inside of panels quite well....

Final Update!

Frames went back yesterday, so last 24hrs was a rush job to get big jobs finished whilst van was still on side:

036.jpg

037.jpg

Fitted central belly pans - Tigerseal and rivets.

038.jpg

Managed to slap some paint on literally 5 mins before we rolled the van back over!

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

...and back down!

042.jpg

phew!

Looks like a good job well done ;)

Certainly looks a lot easier to do than being on your back getting covered in most of the sh@t.......

What's next then?

Latest posts