Wiring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Reaction score
Is there anywhere that lists the original colour wires and what they do/where they go?

I am tidying under the dash and have located a few unattached wires, I have removed the ones that I can trace, but there are some I cannot trace. One in particular is blue/red and disappears behind the fuse box, posibly up the door column, but there is no more than 12" hanging by the fuse box with a male spade connector on the end...

I also have a brown wire from pin 31 on the emergency flasher relay to the dash switches, but this has a male connector half way along, I read the Haynes manual and translated this as an earth point so attached it to one of the tabs by the block connector below the upper left corner of the dash, can anyone say if this is correct?

While I'm at it...

I am fitting a pair of driving lamps (http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_split/type-2-split-origional-vehicle-parts/vehicle-electrics/accessory-lights/fog-lamps-110mm-pair-clear-glass-chrome-body.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) They have no instructions so don't know what power the require. However, If I run them from the main beam fuse will this make the main beam dimmer as they will share the available power instead of all the power reaching the headlamps? How else could I wire them?

...electrics aint my strong point :oops:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers dude 8)

Although the only red/blue wire on there is emergency flasher relay to instrument panel and it's not that. Could be a later addition, but it doesn't seem to be :evil: Gonna have to try and find the other end :cry:

adding driving lamps to existing circuit would probebly blow the fuse! i would wire a relay to the headlamp circuit then take a supply from the fuse box ( if lucky you may have a spare fuse there ) then wire that through the relay contact to the lights!! NOTE THE SUPPLY FOR THE ADDITIONAL LAMPS MUST BE FUSED, IF NOT THERE IS NO PROTECTION IF YOU DO HAVE A FAULT!

I didn't think it would be that easy :( I think the interior lights fuse is spare as these now run off the leisure battery.

I was hoping to run off the main beam fuse as I want the lights to come on with main beam, how else can I do this? I understand wire and fuses but once you start talking relays I struggle :oops:

main beam live to relay coil +
earth on coil to earth
fused supply to one side of contact
supply out to driving lamp to other side of contact then to driving lamp
ensure driving lamp is earthed
that should do it.
hope this helps, its one of those things i find easy to do but hard to describe! sure some of you other guys may have an easier way of describing it?

The relay is very easy to wire in, as per the diagram below.

relay.JPG

Quick question :oops: is this an existing relay or do I need to source one?

And is there a way I can find out the lamps power? The link above to JK is the only info I got, they came with no instructions or spec sheet...

madman said:
The relay is very easy to wire in, as per the diagram below.

relay.JPG

Spot on, almost exactly the image that was on the relay packet - except terminal 86 went to switch as it wasn't specifically a driving lamps relay.

Got everything wired up - hopefully - went to check but nothing, then I relised I hadn't earthed them lamps :oops: Will check tomorrow when I put the bumper back on.

If I put a switch on terminal 86 as well as the connection from the main beam will this cause any problems with high beam? Ie. switch them on...?

Benyon said:
Spot on, almost exactly the image that was on the relay packet - except terminal 86 went to switch as it wasn't specifically a driving lamps relay.

Got everything wired up - hopefully - went to check but nothing, then I relised I hadn't earthed them lamps :oops: Will check tomorrow when I put the bumper back on.

If I put a switch on terminal 86 as well as the connection from the main beam will this cause any problems with high beam? Ie. switch them on...?

Do you mean break the feed to pin 86 with a switch? Or run a line from a +ve source through a switch to pin 86 as well as the main beam feed?

If its the first then you will have a switch that will allow you to disable the driving lights if you don't want them on, if the latter, then yes, switching on the switch will turn on the driving laps and the main beams as well.

If you want to be able to turn the lamps on on their own then you would need to fit a second relay with a switch from +ve instead of the feed from the main beam, although, I seem to recall from somewhere that driving lamps/spot lamps must be switched off when main beams are dipped, so you may run foul of the law and/or the MOT man if you have them wired for that option. Somebody else on here should be able to clarify that point for you.

madman said:
yes, switching on the switch will turn on the driving laps and the main beams as well.

If you want to be able to turn the lamps on on their own then you would need to fit a second relay with a switch from +ve instead of the feed from the main beam, although, I seem to recall from somewhere that driving lamps/spot lamps must be switched off when main beams are dipped, so you may run foul of the law and/or the MOT man if you have them wired for that option. Somebody else on here should be able to clarify that point for you.

I realised this after connecting them up - I had a spare switch in my dash, thoght I'd try and put it to use :roll:

Latest posts