Rear disc kits -whats available??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

IIRC there was a thread on a Porsche set up using 944 fronts i think, but cant remember what the title was, i think there was also a very good write up off forum on another site from the same person....
Seek and ye shall find, hopefully!!

Alistair

Do the same as i have then get some adapters to take it back to the wide five stud pattern. :)
Or if you already have big fronts fit 944 s2 alloy trailing arms, they have 299mm disc's and brembo for pots. 8)

i have all the parts for the same, the brackets are easy enough to make/have cut. I have templates and can send some pics if you fancy a cheap DIY setup?

You need merc 180 discs, you can get these in EBC cross drilled for £40 for a pair, A set of Astra Mark IV SRI rear capilers and the hub needs shaved slightly to fit the new disc.

the adapters are the only downside to take you back to wide five

Johnny said:
i have all the parts for the same, the brackets are easy enough to make/have cut. I have templates and can send some pics if you fancy a cheap DIY setup?

You need merc 180 discs, you can get these in EBC cross drilled for £40 for a pair, A set of Astra Mark IV SRI rear capilers and the hub needs shaved slightly to fit the new disc.

the adapters are the only downside to take you back to wide five

cheers johnny

a full shopping list and instructions would be great

:mrgreen:

the instructions were sent to me by Nelly, thanks mate ;)

Nelly said:
Picture011.jpg

You will need a pair of merc 190(w201)82-93 solid front discs with a dia of 262mm,
And a pair of astra mk4 2.0 16v 98-2005 rear brake calipers,
Also modified hand brake cables and brake lines,
Then a pair of caliper brackets.

They are merc 190 front discs with hub adapter/spacer to fit porsche stud pattern,
The spacer does increase track but most porsche wheels need this as the offset is
Around 50-55 and the late bay has an offset of 35,
The reason for using mk4 astra calipers is the fact that the hand brake operates the
piston on the caliper doing away with need for seperate hand brake set up.

First off you need to file this lip flat so that the bracket fits
20072008042.jpg

20072008043.jpg

Once you've fitted bracket you need to take slider off the caliper
19072008032.jpg

The slider wont fit as the lug's foul the bracket
20072008045.jpg

So then grind off 4mm from mounting lugs
19072008033.jpg

20072008046.jpg

20072008048.jpg

I used a 1mm fine cutting disc, at this stage don't remove to much but keep trial fitting to bracket until disc runs in middle of carrier take off any extra with a file
19072008034.jpg

When you are happy with the fit of slider reasemble caliper with new pads and fit to bracket
19072008035.jpg

19072008037.jpg

(excuse the twat that's my mate Savage trying to be helpful)
19072008038.jpg

Then simlpy add new line to exsisting one and bolt up.
As soon as I've fitted handbrake will forward pic's to show.

Calipers were £40 for a pair, new cross drilled EBC discs were £36, brake lines £37, caliper brackets (machining) £60 a pair. hubs machined to fit discs £30, handbrake cable £?

£200ish all in, not to bad for cross drilled rear disc brakes

For your discs go to buypartsby.co.uk £15 (p/no. d138) a pair or £36 (p/no. gd138) for drilled and grooved.

or if your feeling a bit braver and need some unnecesarily large discs :D
http://vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts