Chassis legs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMcFly

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at replacing the front chassis legs on my van soon.
Are there any differences between early and late?

I have a 72 crossover, just to complicate the matter.

Any help much appreciated.
Marty

I believe that on the early bays the chassis legs were slightly different something todo with the deformation panel on later models, I may be wrong
I guess you could look at the repair legs and that should give you a good idea

Looking at a picture of the ones for sale, I cant tell the difference.
Don't want to offer them up and the dimensions be out though?

Hi. I fitted crossover chassis legs to my 69MY bay.
The fit was identical apart from the profile of the semi circular shape you see under the cab seats where the wheel arch tub meets the chassis leg meets the walk through bit.
I would be fairly sure that you could get late to fit, I that's what I found I would have used it.
I was gonna cut and join them in, but in the end unpicked it all and put in the whole legs from the front panel to behind the b pillar. This was definitely the way to do it.
I think Julian at Vw parts emporium has a late front chassis cut.
Good luck. Let me know if you need more info
Cheers
Dave

Thanks for that, much appreciated chaps.

I was worried about buying these from a 75 but looks like i shouldn't have any issues with them?

Are you replacing the one the steering box mounts to as the mounting points changed in 1973 for the late steering box (or so i've been told).
Not had a chance to see the two chassis rails side by side so can't confirm.

Yes mate RHD offside part is the worst one.

I definitely have the early steering box, so if that's the case, suppose i will have to wait for the correct one

Not certain to be honest.
From reading this post on thesamba.com the mountings are slightly different but you could always modify the new late leg to fit the early stryle box. Looks like 3 holes match and just the 4th that needs moving.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7063529

I need new legs for my '73 but can't afford them at the moment of i'd have the late legs off you.

I'd be looking at flogging the early box and buying a later one, on late chassis legs- the late boxes are better and more readily available than the earlies.

Latest posts