240v generator or solar? Or other?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlepecha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
M-codes
095 508 697 A01
Hi,

Been looking at a fair few campsites recently in the dales and lakes, I've noticed a lot of sites don't have hook ups to keep the battery charged hence my question.

To keep the battery charged while running the fridge/radio/lights/charging phones etc. I've got a 20a smart charger so it can supply enough juice but I need something to supply that.

So I have been thinking solar panels straight to 12v, but I'm going to need 200w at a guess to be almost self sufficient which is about £220.

The other option at the moment is a 240v 4 stroke petrol generator with a 2500watts or similar of power, which can be bought for around £150.
Will most campsites allow you to have a generator running all night/day though? Even though there not that loud.

Or has anyone got any better ideas?
I've got a 110ah battery by the way, biggest drain is the fridge at around 5 amp.

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

....most fridges can can run off gas - which is very efficient, and should leave enough power in the battery for everything else
- assuming your fridge can't take gas - it could be cheaper to replace that than the other options you're considering.

(Lakes and Dales and Solar Power - hmmm)

My fridge ain't the norm. Its an old Westy fridge, where the absorption system had failed so I replaced it with a peltier unit.

Gas fridges are good, but that would mean I would need a flue to outside the van, which I don't like the idea of.
Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

We are fitting a 100w for charging phones DVD player kindles lights stereo. We borrowed an 89 watt setup off a friend and it was fine on 74ah battery.. We have brought a coleman coolbox. Which you fill with ice and can top up when restocking your beers from supper market..

We are going to put a 110ah battery on in near future.

Hi,

I have a 80W solar panel n my westy rear roof section, adjustable for height depending on the sun, with a digital solar MPPT regulator, with a T Max winch recovery digital split charge system, 25mm thick cables to minimise voltage drop, along with a 80aH sealed AGM battery, but i have a 210aH Trojan ultra deep cycle, pair of 6V cart batteries to fit, but will relocate the starter battery and fit a Red Top or similar under the bed.
I am also running a efficient marine Waeco CR50 12 compressor fridge in the OG westy coolbox

When i get around to it anyway, the solar set up etc is all documented, with links etc in my build thread, take a mooch

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts