My 69 Tin Top Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
i finaly have a half decent photo of my westy, here it is on its first outing, we should still be ther, but its bloody wet out there!

I'll update this thread when the rain stops an ican take more photos

P1011446.jpg

Some new photos after its first wash since i have owned it!!

looking good me thinks!
P1011615.jpg

P1011616.jpg

P1011617.jpg

P1011618.jpg

P1011619.jpg

lowering stick on its way!

thnks, yeah only used it once, but did the job well, keep hold of that booklet, i'll have it off you one day!

Mark

Small update, managed to get some stuff done inside today

Fitted a ciggy lighter, so now I can power the sat nav, ciggy lighter is an original VW one but i think it may be from a later bay, Also fitted my 3 guages only the oil temp and volt meter work at the moment though, need to fit an oil presure sensor in the engine now, also i manage to fit my CB :) still havent chatted to any one though, trip to Volksworld show will be the test lol
P1012423.jpg

P1012426.jpg

P1012424.jpg

Small update, I trial fitted the 944 disk brakes today to check clearences and if there are any issues fitting them with the dropped spindles, every thing looked fine, one bolt will have to be trimmed.
DSC00024-1.jpg

DSC00025-1.jpg

DSC00023-1.jpg

not sure if the brake should be on the front of the wheel or the back, but i dont think it will make any difference.
I tryal fitted my only Porsche wheel too
DSC00022-1.jpg

DSC00021-1.jpg

Just for reference it does seam that the face of the Porsche hub will be arround 9mm further in, added to the higher offset of the wheels, this should counteract the 10mm extra width caused by the dropped spindles.

well not a huge amount of work, just a shit load of parts collecting and research! if any one wants to know about fitting these brakes to a van, I'm your man!! lol

after today I'm a lot closer to fitting them but I still have a long way to go.

Looks like ET 52/53 is the only way to go though!

:( looks like thats another set in the que for my van :D your space saver looks like it has the indents around the centre for the removal of the 911 centre caps so a set of four of those and then you can fit the chrome caps (if you can find a set) i saw a set on ebay a while back.

Yeah I was thinking that, but I dont think that the cap would cover the rear hub nut!! so I may be reconsidering the whole steel wheel option, as much as I love it, i know the wife would keep giveing me greif asking why the wheels look so scruffy!! bloody women lol

I'm watching this one with great interest! It looks like they are the same porsche brakes that i've just bought, i've only seen the ones where the disc is behind the hub rather than over. Are you changing the master cylinder?
More pics please. Cheers

yeah am changing the master cilinder, bought it last week from GSF, its a disk brake non servo one, as fitted to early disk brake bays.

when I finaly do the full fit, i will be writing a how too as there are so many questions that need answering.

no dont do that lol, it will work, just make sure you have all the right parts first, so far i have bought

Caliper brackets
Calipers
hubs
Caliper rebuild kit
Caliper paint (Red for that bit of bling)
master cilinder

Still needed

full set of wheels (must be ET 53 or 53)
braided hoses
new disks
new pads

but its the wheels that are holding me back, I just cant get the ones i want with the right offset!

I alsowant to check if the bay braided hoses will fit the calipers, or if i will need a custom set made! or 944 ones.

Mark

Dont think you'll get much cheper than my boxster s's at £400 and the right offset and near new tires ;)

you are probably right, I'm just not sure they are inkeeping with the theme! mind you what you think they would look like painted a milky white colour with a red stripe on the tyre?

Latest posts