August 67 Crewcab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67westy

Reaction score
Ok well I posted in general when we picked this up a couple of weeks ago so I thought it was about time a gallery thread was started to track the work. This is my borther in laws crewcab, the aim at the minute is to get it on the road as quickly and cheaply as possible :shock:

When we picked it up:
8CK5ft9.jpg

And back home:
PBNnvEe.jpg

Front arch step is a bit out of shape:
HTLlnNv.jpg

Pillar needs tidying up, probably replacing:
j5FapR9.jpg

It's had a scrape down the side:
FpCDGX3.jpg

Load bed looks solid though :D
Mn8URL1.jpg

Needs a little attention on both sills:
WRjO0Z3.jpg

Bit rotten on the floor but already picked up a repair panel for this:
GgwPqUW.jpg

Had a bang just in front of the rear arch:
XATk6B3.jpg

I started looking at the electrics today, at some point the dashboard has been changed for one from a 71 bus but all the wiring and switches were swapped as well so it's half 68 wiring and half 71. Just stripping it all back and labelling up, tedious but necessary as it was a mess.

This also caused problems with the customs paperwork as the vin number was taken from the plate on the dash so duty was paid on the wrong numbers, nightmare!

I'll update as work progresses and I'm sure my bro-in-law will chip in too!

Just been looking at pictures of other crewies and noticed that the rear arches have been cut out on this one. Not sure why they would have done this but I quite like the look.......

Does this mean it needs slamming mate!!!??? Just been looking at another one, didnt notice it until you pointed it out. Dont mind it either way.

Already thinking of paint colours etc. Wife thinks gun metal grey with orange on inside of drop gates and inside cab which could look cool (our campany has an orange logo - http://www.racetimeevents.co.uk if you want to see our logo). Could I get our logo but make it look distressed like it has been on there years? Anybody do that sort of work?? Matching grey seat covers with orange piping???

Father in law was not happy about the idea of orange VW badge, think I might agree??
Decisions decisions!!!

Cant wait to get it on the road.

You can get the old style sign writing done, there was someone on here I think that did their own as they used to do it years ago. Would look cool I think. I reckon it needs dropping a few inches at least would fill the arches better.

A few of the rough bits were cut out last week:

m1vfDPW.jpg

e6Z9DOs.jpg

6GQHNoE.jpg

Plan now is to tidy up and replace some metal behind and then get the new bits welded in.

A little difficult to tell but some of the damage to the front has been pushed out as well.
MBTjyxX.jpg

Well it's been a while and work has been progressing slowly when the weather allows (not very often!). Some new metal starting to go back in and a bit more cut out. Also discovered a new gearbox is needed as the old one is locked solid. Hopefully by the end of next weekend the electrics will be about sorted and a chunk more welding will be done. So here's a few pics:

jtUGsmc.jpg

kzpSK2I.jpg

from the inside, the pillar needs some attention still:
hqqTabe.jpg

Hole in the floor
f6upeFX.jpg

No hole in the floor :) Ideally we would have used a proper floor panel for this but the budget wouldn't stretch that far at the mo so it's flat plate for the time being...
CeDaqKK.jpg

And more metal removed to get rid of the previous badly done patch:
nD9m2hD.jpg

The aim at the minute is for an MOT late july or early august.......

Well the old man has been busy hacking more metal out of the sills. It was all bent out of shape so needed replacing:

kel8Sis.jpg

COv14Dx.jpg

i2BnHfr.jpg

Spent the weekend removing the fuel tank (discovered another small hole) and prepping and cleaning that area, the rear cab and load bay ready for some paint. Got some paint on the load bed but not sure it is quite right. Want a gun metal grey finish but I think it is too light.

Father in law has also welded the sill back in :D

And here's the pictures :)

Inner sill:
Mi3Dka3.jpg

and outer:
FerQULQ.jpg

This is actually the sill for a splitty, the bay ones weren't the right profile. You definitely need a darker grey!

Well it's been a while since the last update but the old man has been working hard and it's progressing along now. Taken a little longer than we thought but the welding is nearing the end :)

Yal1zS5.jpg

LSiU1WF.jpg

rsToo1I.jpg

RkxEqoC.jpg

o37IZb8.jpg

7GZWkl3.jpg

Bo7A0yj.jpg

Just got a patch under the fuel tank, cab floor, battery tray and a small section of the heating pipe to finish off before the engine goes in :)

Father in law sent me a video today of the engine fitted and running!!! :D

Birth certificate is on order - not long now.

Hoping to take her on her maiden voyage today. :D Just round the block but very exciting.

Well I finally had a drive today, only out of the garage to turn her round and back in but it was great! Did a bit more work on the roof which I was going to paint but think I am going to leave it ratty for now.

Also got home today to find the birth certificate had arrived :D

Still seems like loads to do but can see light at the end of the tunnel.

thats mad yours is august, mine too! they could have been next to each other in the factory :lol:
looking good by the way :D

Latest posts