Our white westy...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squarebob

Reaction score
Hi from Canada.

Bought this '71 Westfalia from a good friend last fall. (2010) Plans are to get it into the garage and get going on it so we can enjoy it this summer.

Taking it home...

Waiting for the snow to melt, and for some garage space...

Doesn't look like it needs much work, Does it have porsche brakes or do you just run adapters, starting to like teledials on a bay

We have had a lot of snow this year. After that last pic I used my snow-brush to shape it to look like a Safare (hightop) roof and breifly considered getting one, but decided I'll keep it original with the Westfalia pop-top. Refinishing it and replacing the tent will be coming soon...

froggy, The wheels are fitted with adapters in the rear (lowered with horse-shoe plates) and the front is on a Wagenswest 4 inch narrowed adjustable beam with drop spindles and 944 brakes.

Cali_bay, That barn is on another friends farm where I picked the westy up. He's always got a lot of cool VWs there. I liked that red bus too, great patina, but also pretty rusty.

Well, after much delay, I'm finally making some progress. Had the axles out to do the CV's and boots and added a c-notch at the same time:

I also made myself some adjustable springplates:

Funny how all my projects start with suspension, even when I get something that's already been lowered!

Thanks, I'm pleased with the results. Now I can go from this:

To this:

...or anywhere in between, in less than 2 minutes! :D It will also hang low enough when on the jack for easy wheel change -- which was the reason I wanted them. I still need to fit the (air?) shocks which will probably limit the travel at one end or the other.

I took a break from working on the '71 to "build" another Westfalia project I got for Christmas:

Stock:

...And slammed on Porsche Wheels...

It's nice to work on something with ZERO rust!

Well, back to work...
After much deliberation on which white to use (bright white or L90D pastel white) for the Pop-Top I finally got it painted.

Before:

After much sanding and repairing, the Primer/sealer phase:

And painted with high-gloss bright white:

I wasn't happy with how it came out. With the high gloss paint every tiny pin-hole and defect was exaggerated and highly visable, so out came the sander again. The second time I sprayed the top with some rubberized rocker-panel paint to add some texture, sealed again, and added some flattening agent to the paint. ...and a bit of L90D since I didn't have enough bright white left. :msn4:

It was a lot of work, you guys with your "smooth-as-glass" pop-tops have my respect!

Bob I dig your Bus!! (and the custom Lego) I'm a sucker for some tele's :D

I made to pop-top my last job as I knew it would be aggravation. I had to prime mine three times and paint it twice to get it looking alright :roll: I'm really liking the textured finnish 8) kinda like ABS plastic.

Where about's in Canada are you? Dont you just love driving and air-cooled in the winter :lol: coats, sweaters, toques and blankets. Do you have a petrol heater?

Thanks snow_pikey, I've had my share of air-cooled VWs and winter experiences too. I remember back in the 90's having to eject the cassette tape from the stereo every couple songs or so while driving my beetle, so I could use it to scrape the frost from the inside of the windows. This bus does have the eberspacher heater in the engine bay, but I think I might remove it to make space for a leisure battery as it will only see summer use.

Latest posts