Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like, nay....love the progress. Fun city. Looks solid, heart-lifting and satisfying. Underpants looking like they’ve been to a very decent launderette. Great to see the brake considerations and the ‘keeping you up in the air superb framework’ solid in progress. Bet you’re over the moon.

graysummers said:
I like, nay....love the progress. Fun city. Looks solid, heart-lifting and satisfying. Underpants looking like they’ve been to a very decent launderette. Great to see the brake considerations and the ‘keeping you up in the air superb framework’ solid in progress. Bet you’re over the moon.
Cheers Gray.
Happy with the bottom half so far, but still lots todo before it will turn a wheel under its own steam!!

Productive day today but fought me all the way!

Thought I would look at the front hub/spindle/brakes and here we go.
So, the brake back guard is advertised as for 71 to 79 with minor drilling - great.
Used CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) to drill 3 new holes and here we are, all put together with the calliper put in just to make sure it all aligns well.

20180704_210137_zpsatgutywr.jpg

20180704_210152_zpsnsd2mw9c.jpg

Took the caliper off and added the hub and disk and here we are:

20180704_211826_zpsbl6upa5v.jpg

20180704_211832_zpsve4dh6zw.jpg

Will fit the calliper repair kit tomorrow and then finish off by adding the torsion arms (just for testing obviously) :)

Cheers

NickJ said:
Hi Andy, some great work going on 8) looking very good.

Cheers nick.
Will have to take this spindle/hub apart again so I can use the back plate as a template for drilling the holes in the offside back plate then on wards and upwards :)

All this sun makes for Andy being a busy boy. :lol: :lol:
Looking good , we keep this weather up you will be finished in no time. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
All this sun makes for Andy being a busy boy. :lol: :lol:
Looking good , we keep this weather up you will be finished in no time. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D
We all love the sun :)

Hope it hangs around for a bit longer :D

Finished fitting the new seals to the callipers and bolted to the hubs.
Not in the same league as K@rlos but happy with them.

20180706_174940_zps89wrie7r.jpg

20180706_174945_zpsjaklzs8l.jpg

So - to see if anyone is following this thread (I now a few are…) the original colour of my van is Chianti Red but the PO has used a more modern VW colour - Tornado Red.
So, when spraying the underneath of the van should I go for the original colour or use the new colour??

Cheers

I’m a sentimentalist. A bit of original paintwork choice somewhere on your Dub would be nice. Chianti for a nod to the past and stock sensibilities. It’s like the member on here that rubbed away some of the paint on his petrol cap cover to reveal and show a small bit of the original colour that lay beneath.

If I do the underneath in Chianti, that means I will end up doing the whole lot. Will have a think about it.
Best place to get Chianti red from?

Bargain booze for basic quality or Harrods for a bit of ummph. I know you set us all up for that one.😉 What matters I suppose is the make and therefore experience of using different makes resulting in preferences in this area. Paul? Not sure what he used on my bus. But he is a keen seeker of getting the best. I’ll ask what he used and where from.

graysummers said:
Bargain booze for basic quality or Harrods for a bit of ummph. I know you set us all up for that one.😉 What matters I suppose is the make and therefore experience of using different makes resulting in preferences in this area. Paul? Not sure what he used on my bus. But he is a keen seeker of getting the best. I’ll ask what he used and where from.
:lol: Nice one ;)

Thanks - a good number of companies selling tins of Chianti Red paint but not sure if I want to go this route for although the paint on the outside has seen better days but a quick flash with some Tornado Red would see it back to looking good.
My van originally came with no white top half so tempted to take it back to all red and just leave the poptop and bumpers white?

Anyway - ahead of myself as need to get the underneath done first. Not done anything today as bike racing then football, then listening to some nice tunes (vinyl) through the hifi - ohh and a few beers so nice and chillaxed 8)

Hi Andy, maybe you should go with the Tornado Red at least it's still a VW colour, why not make it a bit easier for yourself :mrgreen:

NickJ said:
Hi Andy, maybe you should go with the Tornado Red at least it's still a VW colour, why not make it a bit easier for yourself :mrgreen:
True - will have a think about it.
Realised I hadn't put the drivers seat runner in so will have to scrape back the sealant I put on, weld the runner then reseal - will look to try and do that this weekend along with installing the clutch cable tube.

Cheers

Had a spare 30 minutes this evening so thought I would have a look at the seat rail.
Using CAD, created a seat template for the seat rails as the rail closest to the middle had not been disturbed - see pic below:

20180713_165838_zps0j3ert4s.jpg

A few more pics of it loosely in position:

20180713_192830_zpsjnuzfgts.jpg

20180713_192854_zps0dha4yij.jpg

Need to straighten the rail, drill out the old spot welds, tidy it up and weld it on.

Hopefully do it tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Rail straightened, old spot welds drilled out and now welded back in:

20180714_123045_zpsorwpzvlm.jpg

Welds ground back:

20180714_142015_zpsbuox5n2w.jpg

Seat mounted and no issues :)

20180714_122557_zpssbhqez3j.jpg

20180714_122552_zpsyqfl6enm.jpg

Coat of paint added to protect etc:

20180714_142716_zpsh7q3hdxy.jpg

Look at the passenger side next and see what I need to do to get this mounted.

Cheers