Servo brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone fitted a servo to their drum brakes?

My drum brakes work well, it's just heavy on the right leg on a long journey so I thought a servo may be the answer.

Is a remote one like VW Jim's better than a Brazilian one, which would involve welding a fixing plate to the beam and some clearance issues with hand brake cables.

I have a 1970 pop top Westy with drums all round. [emoji111]️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Mike,

I'm considering it as it seems like a sensible safety upgrade. It's the remote option I've been looking at, Graham at MEB offers a fitting service. There are also some good instructions for a DIY install over on the late bay.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Adam,

Yes deffo a safety upgrade. Good to know someone offers a fitting service.
I don't think it would be a DIY job for me although I have read the thread on Latebay about fitting one.
If some one has fitted one it would be interesting to hear what their experiences with it was. I thought about changing to disks at first but a servo may be the first choice then disks later maybe. [emoji848]

I changed my drums to disks, using vwjim servo (same servo available elsewhere but his came with mounting bracket) to get a boost. Some photos in my gallery.

I'd say it's much the same process to fit to drums brakes. You have a front and back circuit simple. I mounted my servo under the cargo floor and replaced every pipe with my a home cut and shaped kupper? Pipe. Bought all the pipe and fittings on line and was easy. Your master cylinder should need no modification (you need to take out the non return valve a if you fit disks) and you may or may not want to think about the late bay brake bias valve (wrongly termed pressure relief)

I recommend diy install. One thing to check before you start is that your inlet manifold has a feed coming off it for your servo. Otherwise you have an extra job to do there that involves some engine dismantling

Disks all round and a servo must give you really good brakes BSM [emoji3]

I am hoping to gain quite a bit of stopping power with just a servo for now, and see how it goes. The disk brake conv kit is like £££s [emoji28]

I like doing stuff on the bus myself when I can, I'm sure I could install it if I wanted to.

Anyone else got a servo with drums or has everyone gone for disks+ servo? [emoji848]

Hi Mike

Markevo30 did this mod on his drumbreaks, maybe you can PM him for more info....

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66269&p=568328&hilit=Servo+drumbreaks#p568328

Hi Mike,

As Harry said I had a remote servo fitted early last year. It's a really worthwhile mod and will definitely ease the strain on a long (or any) journey. It doesn't improve the ultimate stopping capability of your drums but it makes what you've got much more accessible and feels more like a modern car.

It's certainly a diy job if you're up for it but I got Graham (MEB) to fit mine as I was struggling to get under the Bus.

Get it done, you won't be disappointed! [emoji106]

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im heading over to Grahams workshop next month to have this very job done.
Remote brake servo installation - I like to get my hands dirty with most jobs but I will leave brakes to the professionals
Im running a CSP Disk kit at the front and standard drums at the rear so am hoping for an improved performance with the servo.
One day I might find a decent wide 5 rear disk kit and install that

I am currently trying to put my camper that I've recently brought over from the UK through its Australian registration. Due to my modifications - discs all around I have had to provide evidence of the "upgrades" that I've made and prove that they are safe and correct.

I am currently writing a massive thread to put up here which will highlight that the single best thing you SHOULD do is to fit a servo FIRST! - rather than spend money on Porsche brakes.

HI NaFe - hope all is well out in Aus!
Glad your bus made it over there ok, must be a nightmare registering a one with porsche running gear!

Thanks guys that's all great info. I am definitely gonna do it now.

NaFe, importing a bus to Oz from the UK !! Is that a first [emoji121]️[emoji23]

Haveacamper said:
I am currently trying to put my camper that I've recently brought over from the UK through its Australian registration. Due to my modifications - discs all around I have had to provide evidence of the "upgrades" that I've made and prove that they are safe and correct.

I am currently writing a massive thread to put up here which will highlight that the single best thing you SHOULD do is to fit a servo FIRST! - rather than spend money on Porsche brakes.

have a read: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74184

Cheers

Just to complete my thread, I have had a remote servo fitted. I bought the kit from VW JIm who was great to deal with.

Costs £430 for the servo kit posted, and £350 to fit. Not cheap but worth it IMO.

On an Earlybay bus the places to mount one are limited but can be overcome. Mine is under the chassis behind the front cross member, which seems to be the most popular site.

I have only driven the bus with the servo for a few days but have completed a 460 mile return journey to Camperjam, and can only say what a massive improvement it is.

I would certainly recommend getting one to anyone with non servo brakes :mrgreen:

Any chance you could post pics of the servo location and servo hose route?

Latest posts