The Oldest Bay On The Forum

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there was an issue with the paperwork so somehow it ended up with an 'E' plate. I think this has happened to another bus on here too.

E plates are a bit of a red herring. mattd1984 has one too I think? But officially none should have them.

Earliest bus on the forum belongs to fast freddy of Ninove and EBI fame, its chassis number 16, or 64? or something daft! I dont think it will be beaten :lol: Its the EBI promotional panel van.

As Clem says, the whole E plate thing is a red herring. Their appearance on bays is down to the individual DVLA office not being being bothered about exact dates during the year. No early bay should have an E plate, they stopped issuing them on 31st July, bays were not officially available until 1st August which is exactly the date that very first F plates were issued.
Joanne Doe (38, married, 2 kids, wondering fish fingers or sausages for tea) and working as a clerk at the DVLA is not going to know and doesn't give a toss about production dates, that's for sad people like us. You put 1967 on the form, she is not interested in exact dates, so types in 1st January. The computer then says 'E' reg.....
The Speedmaster bus rolled off the line on 25th August 1967 so is very early. I remember this because Tim Glover (Roadhouse Motor Co., who imported it) checked it out and it also happens to be my birthday! (not the year, I'm slightly more vintage :lol: )

IMG_0894.jpg

It was on the otherside of the line up from us at Ninove this year. Also up the street from the Roxy On Sat night... near that red 356.... But i was steamin.....how many witcaps Mike?! 8)

Its lush. 8)

Pete B said:
As Clem says, the whole E plate thing is a red herring. Their appearance on bays is down to the individual DVLA office not being being bothered about exact dates during the year. No early bay should have an E plate, they stopped issuing them on 31st July, bays were not officially available until 1st August which is exactly the date that very first F plates were issued.
Joanne Doe (38, married, 2 kids, wondering fish fingers or sausages for tea) and working as a clerk at the DVLA is not going to know and doesn't give a toss about production dates, that's for sad people like us. You put 1967 on the form, she is not interested in exact dates, so types in 1st January. The computer then says 'E' reg.....
The Speedmaster bus rolled off the line on 25th August 1967 so is very early. I remember this because Tim Glover (Roadhouse Motor Co., who imported it) checked it out and it also happens to be my birthday! (not the year, I'm slightly more vintage :lol: )
i think when joanne doe at the dvla issued the plate for my bay it must have be very late on a friday afternoon. and was late for pickin them two kids up. what year does my plate make mine ?

Nice to see theres a few early earlies about.
Makes my 70 seem like a spring chicken :lol:

I think Greg's (flat eric)Westy on here is an August 67? Maybe September...

Myvanway said:
It was on the otherside of the line up from us at Ninove this year. Also up the street from the Roxy On Sat night... near that red 356.... But i was steamin.....how many witcaps Mike?! 8)

Its lush. 8)

:oops: Yes, I remember chatting to the owner , he'd bought it for his son.

Dang Witkap :lol:

i know of two 'earlies'
mine 25th aug 67 white panel and my mates 21st aug 67 blue double door panel ;)

both E reg :roll: ;) :mrgreen:
jon.

Latest posts