Thinking of selling RHD tin top to buy a westy?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molbyj

Reaction score
I've just come back from camping (3 of us with awning) and I can't stop thinking about may be some head room/ space with be handy. I'm at a bit of a turning point with my bus and don't want to plough money into it to then want to change buses. I had planned to completely remove and store my original Danbury interior and completely renew the interior which suits our needs, amongst other things. There's a few things I've been thinking of doing to the van but wondered if selling this and starting from scratch and doing exactly what I want and need would be the best way forward?

Any thoughts would be welcome

Ross

I know a few people have done roof transplants but if you have a tintop I would think the easiest route has to be swapping for a pop top. It's pretty major surgery really. Generally pop tops command a higher price so you may have to put some cash in to get a bus in a similar state.

For what it's worth I love our poptop and the fact I can stand up makes a massive difference to camping. Also gives you a fair bit of extra storage in the roof space if you don't fill it with children :)

If you are after a custom interior you will probably be able to find a westy import with no interior for cheaper than a complete one so that could help. If not the interiors sell pretty well to recoup some cash

I had a 67 tintop Split in similar condition, was fine but needed a load of money spending on it in the next few years. Had a few bays in the past so new i wanted another dormobile like the interior & loads of head room when roof popped etc. Bought an early dormy 2 years ago and have no regrets, better in so many ways, space, comfort (stock height), seatbelts in the back for kids etcetc.

Also, visually i love the look of tintops, they're getting rarer and I think it would be a shame to butcher one imho.

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies. I think looking for a 'shell' of a van with a westy or dormy roof is my best bet to be honest, as long as the bodywork is solid I'm don't think I'm too fussed about the interior. What's your thoughts on the westy interior layout as it looks a little busy to me with high level cupboards etc?

The westy layout works well for our needs. We have a 67 so there is no overhead locker just a cargo net so I don't bang my head. We do all cooking in the awning and often eat in there as well although on shorter trips we cook/eat in the van. We don't have the sink unit in the van so that gives some extra room. Little one sleeps on the cab bunk. Clothes etc are stowed on the roof, bedding under the bed when not in use.

I guess it depends on what you want to do in the van :)

I like the westy layout but must confess its the only one I've had so can't offer an unbiased comparison.

The full height wardrobe was shot in mine so I used the base as a template to build a new cupboard which finishes just under window height. It gives loads of storage and improves vision as the massive blind spot has gone.

The sink unit is a bit of a waste of space really (again a personal opinion), never used it and the water tank behind the cool box/fridge also takes up a lot of room, again not used. But if you were to use them as intended they are a good little addition and the storage part under the sink is a bit of a tardis, it amazes me how much stuff fits in there. The cool box is ok if just going away for a night but any longer and the blocks soon warm up. I'm thinking of changing it out for a Waeco fridge in the winter but we normally throw everything in a Coleman extreme cool box which is just awesome but takes up room if you don't have an awning.

I'm 6'4" 17 stone and the missus is about 5'9" 9 stone and we fit happily on the 3/4 width bed. Plenty of storage under the bed and also under the buddy seat.

You can use the steel roof as a shelf to store towels clothes etc if not using the fold out hammock and if you have a childs cot over the front seats (and no child) this can also be used as a good shelf if not use the cab seats.

The table is also a god send when too cold to be in the awning and handy for the odd meal and a game of cards etc.

No overhead locker in ours as it is just a head banger and I think it would make it feel a little enclosed when in bed. I like the idea of a cargo net for a bit extra storage space up top though.

Latest posts