X-over engine removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali_bay

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone got any pictures of a type-4 engine removal from a x-over. Interested in height and how to support the engine. I wish I had a removable valance, it looks sooooooo much easier... :mrgreen:

lol, hi my name sake :lol:

Guess what i was doing last weekend :mrgreen:

This is the state of my x-over at the mo.
Got my bus on a set of ramps so you don't have to lift it (if only a bit) to get the engine under the rear valence.
Get your engine on a jack to bring it down & pull it out from the bus,

Take plenty of photos, wiring to the coil etc & enlist the help of a mate like i did (cheers paul :wink: )

Im hoping it all goes back in ok,
Good luck with yours !!

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

Oh man. Did not know someone else already had the name.:oops: Just typed the '_' when I added the name didn't check what other names were about. Is there anyway to change the user name?

Sorry.

But thanks for added the pictures. Need to get my engine out to paint the bay and possibly fix my fuel sender, which currently is a bit erratic.

Cheers,

Si

Cali_bay said:
Oh man. Did not know someone else already had the name.:oops: Just typed the '_' when I added the name didn't check what other names were about. Is there anyway to change the user name?

Sorry.

But thanks for added the pictures. Need to get my engine out to paint the bay and possibly fix my fuel sender, which currently is a bit erratic.

Cheers,

Si

Leave it as it is buddy, i think its quite funny when were both on line :lol: ......... im surprized youve not not noticed before.

................. :shock: and weve both got crossovers :shock: ...................

spooky :mrgreen:

hi guys

are you twins? maybe seperated at birth? :D

I too have a x-over and have recently been taking my engine out and back in a lot, firstly due to a jammed clutch and then to sort out an oil leak that is now only being sorted by replacing the crank case. sitting on the bench being rebuilt.

i have got it down to just under 30 minutes from running to on the drive and 30 minute to strip down to a short engine (bloody tin ware lol)

i drive up on to some vehicle ramps, remove all the tin ware i can (bellows first) connections and leads. clamp the fuel line and undo the connection and remove the 17mm headed bolt from the top of the bell housing and not the gearbox bolt that it looked like Calli-bay took out ( i leave these in to suport the gearbox) then remove the air box to gain access to the nut within the engine bay that is the other top fixing of the bell housing. i have made up a trolley that sits just slightly higher than my jack well fully lowered, i put this on the jack and raise it up to just coming into contact with the engine, then remove the bottom two nuts of the bell housing ( so in total that is three nuts and one bolt removed. when i did it first time i undid seven nots/bolts and still it would not move lol) once the engine is suportred on the jack and trolley i then undo the four nuts and bolts of the rear engine mount suport bar/beam. pull the engine and jack back towards the rear of the van and free from the geatbox shaft, once clear i lower the jack and put the engine down on the drive on the trolley and pull the jack out from under trolley. I now take the jack under the belly of the van and put a two feet piece of scafold board on the jack and a spare wheel and tyre on that and jack this up under the gearbox to lift the whole of the van up enough to allow me to clear the top of the fan housing below the rear valance. and it's out. best way i've found to do the job a proper vehicle lift would be nice lol

hope this helps come back if you have any questions good luck

Steve

other cali-bay is that a T4 engine? alot bigger than my little 1.6 T2 :shock: excuse my ignorance fairly new too campers :lol:

Hi Big red,

The type-4 engine is about the same size as the type one, but without the fan & shroud sitting above the engine (it's often called the pancake engine).

Sounds like you have got the removal off to a tee. Have you any pictures of the trolley you made to support the engine. It sounds like it would be worth making one up.

'Should of checked out the names before I signed up' :oops:

Cheers,

Si

Si, if you do decide you want your name changed, just PM me with your change but check its not already taken

I know hacksawing thru perfectly good german steel is frowned upon but the best thing I ever did to my old 72 bay was to convert it to removable rear valence. Made a nice job of it. Fixed rear valence bays are a feckin nightmare to get engines out of.

Argh, there are two of them!

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, other than that I love the removable valence on my '71 ;)

Latest posts