Worlds longest resto?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Davydomes said:
Due to a type 4 2.0 (CU from a T25) arriving imminently, I needed to improve the look of this baby

Looking good! - do you have a 6 Rib GBox to go with it?

One on eBay now! Just has a 2.0 CJ attached to it - £1200, I'll message him, see if he'll split them!

Six rib purchased! Hope it's OK or it will be :sad0049:

Also some more of the blue :evil: paint removed, just the front panel to go now!

Good day today.

Engine in...

Brief the kids, equip with Haynes manual and set to work...

Lounge around drinking wine*

Engine out...

Well done lads :D

Another step towards Type 4 power! Looking forward to another 'van' day on Friday

*I didn't actually drink any wine. I didn't have any with me :-(

Not much progress on the van today :(

Needed to pay the rent with a bit of MG action, so patched the inner sill, made a closing panel for the back of it and stuck a new panel in. Nice!

Ooohh, whats that behind the roadster?

Best try a test fit of my new (old) towbar... hopefully it'll clear the type 4 exhaust :argue:

Ready for an Eriba? Need to do summat, I've a tintop and 3 kids :lol:

I bought my tin top before I found out my Mrs was pregnant. As soon as the sprog is stable enough to take camping I think I'll look for an Eriba or something similar, there's only just enough room for 2 of us in the tin top, we were going to fit a cab bunk for our 6 year old and now the baby is here we may as well have something a bit more roomy!

Couldn't get to the workshop today as two nice gentlemen (and earlybayers) were coming to have a look at my 1600 engine, which is surplus to requirements as I have a type 4 to go in. Had the motor hooked up to a battery and gearbox for demo purposes, it was running like a sowing machine at 11am. The prospective buyers arrived at about 2pm and it wouldn't start! After a bit of faffing around and a dizzy swap it kind of ran, enough at least to prove it does work!!!

Anyway as part of the deal I aquired a snail fan (I now have two) as I bought one 3 days ago :? and a very good Ernst slencer :D

Here she is after a bit of spit and polish...

After the deal was done I decided to refurb the driveshafts, so removed the CV joints, then washed in solvent and inspected them, all good and genuine VW with no wear to speak of :party0053:

Then a bit of paint applied and left to dry, ready for new boots tomorrow.

Note the one conical washer below... three didn't have this fitted, but one did. Haynes says 'discard the washer' but I assume this means replace with a new one?? Answers ona postcard please...

Mostly looking after kids today, so just got the driveshafts back together.

Still, it all brings victory!

Looking better in new boots...

Good afternoon spent in the workshop today :D

Small jobs first. I've been struggling to find a seal for the alternator to tinware, so made one from a window scraper seal...

Welded up the clutch cable bracket which had the beginnings of a crack in it (must be common, I have 2 of these - both cracked?)

Then I deleted the diagnostic socket... CHOP...

I needed to do this to pull the wiring loom out from the engine bay, to repair the area where it passes through. I chopped out the air filter stand - don't need that for twin Dell's, vroooom!

I also needed to pull the firewall out and remove the tank to fit some seatbelt mounts...

Plenty of rust in here!

Fortunately, the structural bits are all sound, just a bit of patching required. More next weekend! Cracking on now!

Tinware, moustache bar, rear bumper and towbar are back from the blasters.

Why am I so excited? :party0009:

Spot of preventive (hopefully) maintenance on the 'new' gearbox

Bellhousing off to replace input shaft seal

Quick butchers inside to:
1) Have a look at the CW+P to see if they are serviceable, phew OK
2) Count the crownwheel and pinion teeth to verify ratio, phew again!

New gasket and bellhousing back on

Nosecone off, new hockey stick ball fitted and bearings re-lubricated. New seal for good measure too and a new boot to finish it off. Smart!

'Rent' due, so some more MG action - 1/4 panel repair fitted, filled and primed. Front wing part panel repair too.

Back to my van... Fuel tank wire wheeled, rust treated and in primer:

All iffy welds ground out on the towbar and re-welded (no pics, sorry!). Then a bit of faffing around fitting sime rivnuts to the firewall for the alternator voltage regulator and banks of fuses/relays for various things when it goes back together. Thinking ahead - not like me...

Rear bumper filled and primed, but not happy so i'll be doing it again :-(

Lookin good, I was gonna say satin but I didn`t get a chance, you was already all over it. I`m struggling to find the will to get out there in the cold at the moment, must be me age, so all power to you, hope you got a heater of some description :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`ll soon warm up,,,,,,,,, I hope :lol:

ozziedog said:
Lookin good, I was gonna say satin but I didn`t get a chance, you was already all over it. I`m struggling to find the will to get out there in the cold at the moment, must be me age, so all power to you, hope you got a heater of some description :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`ll soon warm up,,,,,,,,, I hope :lol:
Boimass boiler, with heating fan just behind my van. Toasty :fyou:

Great job 8) and nice to see that Sparky can inspire someone :mrgreen:

So, last weekend I brought this home...

2.0 CU from a T25, runs sweet and has DRLAs on.

Off with the tinware...

Gave it a good clean up and replaced the rear crank seal and oil cooler seals to save heartache later

Dual sender for pressure gauge fitted and some exhaust wrap to seal it against the tinware.

I needed to enlarge the hole by about 3mm all around to do this

Of course, I need oil temp too! So weld a 1/2 nut onto the plate below the dipstick as-per Porsche 914

A lick of paint later...

Fan shroud on...

After some procrastination and measuring I decided to keep the T25 dipstick, thus I can avoid the leaking dipstck bellows issue

Alternator harness was wrong, so made a new one - nice ;-)

Coming together now!

Ta-dah!

Just spotted a drip from one of the pushrod tubes :-( Will sort that no probs though.

Just need to repair the heat exchanger tins and then ready for a bench test!

Latest posts