Wiper motor to switch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC

Reaction score
Hi all

Thought I would look to wire my wiper motor up to the switch this morning, but I cant figure out what wires from the motor go to what terminals on the switch.. hoping someone can help.

I should point out that I bought the bus as a rolling shell, so am installing everything for the first time.. I’ve installed a Wolfsburg west loom (211 971 028jc) for a 70/71 bus.. mine is a 71

Wires coming off the wiper motor assembly are :
Black/white
Black/yellow
Green
Black

On the switch I have the following terminals:
31 - already connected to the loom Earth
53a
31b
53b
30 - already connected to fuse box (fuse position 11)

I’ve attached some pics of my wiper assembly and switch.. and also an extract from my loom diagram

Any thoughts what connects to what? Help greatly appreciated.

The colours of the wires you describe are different to the VW wiring colours as shown in the last pic. Unless someone else has already done this with the same loom, you maybe best to contact WW to ask which wires correspond to the OG wiring diagram.

Hi mike..

Agreed - the wires coming off the motor do not match what is shown on the wiring diagram.. that’s why I’m asking If anyone has any ideas.

The first pic are pictures I have taken of my motor and switch.. so they are the colours and terminals I have to work with. I’ve seen quite a few other pics of wiper motors with the same wire setup, including a few on eBay etc.. so I’m sure someone has come across this before..

Perhaps I will have to pop the back off the wiper mechanism where the wires are soldered and open it up to see if that helps.

So this may shed some light.....

https://www.jbugs.com/VW-Tech-Article-Windshield-Wiper-Switches.html

From reading the above I’m thinking :

53a on the switch gets the black/white wire from the wiper mechanism
53 on the switch gets the black wire from the wiper mechanism
53b on the switch gets the black/yellow wire from the mechanism

That leaves the green wire not connected... but reading the above article, that appears to connect to 53e but only on later models. So do I leave this disconnected?

The article also says 31b on the switch is for switched ground to wiper switch... would this connect to the tab that you can see on my wiper housing ?

Thanks. That diagram was useful..

Update - I have them working....

53a on the switch gets the black/white wire from the wiper mechanism
53 on the switch gets the black wire from the wiper mechanism
53b on the switch gets the black/yellow wire from the mechanism

They work, at both speeds... the only thing they don’t do is self park when I either switch off via the switch or turn the ignition off....

I’m wondering if I should connect The green wire coming off the motor assembly to 31b on the switch..

Looks like the self park is handled by switched ground , but can’t tell if that’s the green wire.. although it’s the only wire I haven’t connected.

Latest posts