Wild Camping near Snowdon. Awesome site found Pics now added

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telford Mulisha

Reaction score
Planning an weekend in Snowdonia in July (kids booked into to the Grandparents). :party0053: :party0053: :party0053:

The plan is drive up there Friday night and probably Wild Camp cause it will be late-ish (10pm). Sat morning walk Snowdon, and then back to a pre booked campsite for a shower, beer and food. Sunday, Electric Mountain then home...

So any ideas on locations and campsites?

Would be grateful for any advice
Thanks all
Nik

http://www.gwynant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure about wild camping but this is the only site I use at the foot of Snowden. In fact it's prob my favourite place in Wales. It has a river, a lake, canoe hire, good showers and fires are allowed.
If your looking to get up Snowden early hence the wild camping you can park in the carpark or laybyes of the carpark on the Llanberis pass at the foot of the Pyg pass.

I know a few campsite's and hostels but it all depends on which route you go up and your level of climbing ability.
I will look in to it first as snowdonia national park is massive.

I live here, so if you let me know which route you're looking to take give me a shout, but as Heebee says, there are quite a few laybys around the foot of the mountain.

I'd also go with Llyn Gwynant, but you are restricted on the best pitches as vehicles are only allowed up to the edges (its mainly tents)

Looking down at the site from the walk above

b23a71ef.jpg

You can go straight up snowdon from here, but its a bit of a nasty route

Cheers fella's that gwynant site is spot on!! I can arrive there late so no need to go wild (makes the misses happier) & we can leggit up Snowdon from there Saturday morning...
I'll bring you some pics back (not going till 13th July though and it'll be Friday the 13th) Hence why my good lady wasn't keen on the wild camping...
Thanks again
Nik

Telford Mulisha said:
I can arrive there late so no need to go wild (makes the misses happier) & we can leggit up Snowdon from there Saturday morning...

You're really spoilling Kerry on your weekend without the kids :lol:

I know, don't think she realises how lucky she is... It's our 5th wedding anniversary too. Might go the whole hog & get some champers as well............. does aldi do champagne?

Have a good walk up Snowdon!

It's a nice walk up if the weather is ok

I did Ben Nevis last week.....that was a right b&*"!"rd!

Well we did it... 13.4 miles in 9hrs27 mins
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199406494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Camped at http://www.gwynant.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as recommended by Heebee_GB. Great base for climbing Snowdon, also a great place to take the family camping.

We walked from the campsite to the Carpark/Cafe on the Pen-y-pass (the PYG Track) which took ages, then joined the main route out to the right of the carpark.

2012-07-14173646.jpg

Then we decided to take the route over Crib Goch, which was a bit of a nailbiter, not for the faint hearted. It's a grade 1 scramble which I didn't know until it was too late. My mrs had a near meltdown and asked me 3 times if I could call for mountain rescue :shock: . Luckily 2 women were 10mins behind us, so when they caught up with us she started to feel better.

Managed a short video to catch the fear in her sole before feeling guilty of filming.

[youtube]vGFzo-89g5o[/youtube]

The ridge we crossed is in the background, sorry for putting you through that love :?

Untitled-2.jpg

This is a video of some dudes (not us) doing Crib Goch

[youtube]5oQYlPws6_Q[/youtube]

After eventually getting to the summit we spent 20 mins up there, the weather was brill and the views were awesome (bit windy though).

[youtube]Ra5NAgO4ouA[/youtube]

Us on the summit and Keg looking happier :msn4:

2012-07-14153535.jpg

On the way back we took the Watkin Pass which has some stunning views, beautiful waterfalls and lakes. That's Snowdon on the left, if you look carefully you can see really small people still going up the trail.

2012-07-14163826.jpg

2012-07-14164155.jpg

Back at the campsite we showered and popped the cork on a bottle of bubbly. Happy Anniversary, Love you ;)

2012-07-14212209.jpg

We left mid morning and couldn't resist a couple of arty shots. The lake in the background is the Lake on the Campsite.

2012-07-15105935-1.jpg

2012-07-15105951.jpg

All's well that end's well, the bus ran faultlessly. Roll on next weekend, Dubs at the Castle :party0023: and the homebrew will be ready :beerchug:

2012-07-15202436.jpg

Nik
ps just learn this youtube enbedding thing, aint it cool?

Brilliant! Glad you liked llyn gwynant.
I've done that exact route and it's a grueler!! No wonder your wife was terrified. Crib groch can be one scary place with the wind.
That gps thing you've got is ace. I'm taking it its not your average sat nav?! Im there with a few of the lads the week after dubs at the castle. This threads got me really revved up for it as we're doing it at night. Can't wait!

Awesome. 8)
Great feeling when you get to the summet,
But you feel kinda robbed when you are surrounded by tossers that get the train up!!
:lol:

Great pics.

Heebee_GB said:
Brilliant! Glad you liked llyn gwynant.
No wonder your wife was terrified. Crib groch can be one scary place with the wind.
That gps thing you've got is ace. I'm taking it its not your average sat nav?! Im there with a few of the lads the week after dubs at the castle. This threads got me really revved up for it as we're doing it at night. Can't wait!

Yeah good shout on that campsite dude, really pleased, thanks!
Got my gps watch a couple years ago off amazon, its a Garmin Forerunner 305. Think it's been replaced by a better model now. Sounds similar to to what my mrs said after Crib Goch:lol:
Hope you've got a decent headtorch dude, thats hardcore.
Might bump into you at the castle next week...

myvanway 69 said:
Awesome. 8)
Great feeling when you get to the summet,
But you feel kinda robbed when you are surrounded by tossers that get the train up!!
:lol:

Great pics.
Wasn't to fussed about the wimps on the train, looked more like a saga holiday daytrip, was more peed off with the rude bastards barging past us on there way down. It was like Asda on a Friday afternoon on the last bit to the standing stone. It did feel good getting to the top though.

Telford Mulisha said:
Wasn't to fussed about the wimps on the train, looked more like a saga holiday daytrip, was more peed off with the rude bastards barging past us on there way down. It was like Asda on a Friday afternoon on the last bit to the standing stone. It did feel good getting to the top though.

That's probably why, despite being born here and living here for 40 years, I've never been to the summit of Snowdon!!

Next time you're down try Tryfan, Cnicht, Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llywelyn or Y Glyderau :)

Great stuff, your a brave lad putting your other half through that! :lol: :lol:
We did it a couple of years ago but walked the Lamberis up and the pig going down. Was so much fun!

Stuff that!

Ive done the pyg, miners, llanberis but will never do crib gogh now i've seen it!

Your Mrs deserves a medal...and a new husband!

Latest posts