what breaks in the washer set-up?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilgartw

Reaction score
a PO has put in an electric pump.

I thought i'd replace the hideous wiring and switch he put in by doing the microscitch behind the original switch trick.

the switch seems to work, ie when i blow through one of the nozzles air doesn't flow until i press the button... so i now don't want to cut up a working switch...

so why would the PO have done the 'upgrade'?

so he didnt have to pump the bottle pressure up .....

but the hoses do split at the point where its stretched over the switch too so it may be he was getting a little damp

Hiya wil,

wilgartw said:
........so why would the PO have done the 'upgrade'?

Who really knows what was on the mind of a PO?

As Araon offered, it might just be a case of avoiding the occasional pump-up for the system. It also might be that the system did not work for him at the time. One thing a lot of folks tend to forget is that these washer systems are 1970s technology and that technology needs maintenance. Cracked hoses, clogged jets, broken switches all need attention. In my case, the valve stem was leaky. I replaced that (and I also redid the hoses) and the beast functions as if it were brand new.

I have a feeling that, if people were to pull the maintenance on these systems there would be a lot less talk about replacing them with an electric pump.

thanks for replies.

had a further look tonight at both my vans to try and work out if i have a one full kit. have a i got this right..

the bottle has two screw on caps, a white one on the left that does nothing and a black one on the right that you fill.

a tube coming out the top that you pressurize with air.

i presume the water 'outlet' is at the bottom? (it's dark)

Hiya wil,

Yes, you have the general layout of the washer bottle. That white "cap" over on the left side of the washer bottle is not really a cap. It's actually a plastic nut. And I'm thinking (IIRC) that it actually serves as an attachment point with the body. It's been a while since I've had my kickpanel (one of the really good ones by werksberg!) off to look at the bottle, so take this for what it might be worth.

wilgartw said:
........i presume the water 'outlet' is at the bottom?

Yes, it is. It's on the far left side of the washer bottle at the bottom as the bottle sits in its mounted position.

My system had failed due to one of the washer jets missing the nozzle and no air pressure due to an old leaking valve (which I borrowed from bike!), now it works great in standard form.

Gareth

Latest posts