westy roof...gas strut options?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongy

Reaction score
just putting the roof back on and wonderd if anyone had replaced the rear folding hinges with gas struts?

ive seen these http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/car-boot-tailgate/volkswagen/transporter/gsc2426-volkswagen-transporter-roof-strut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

That looks interesting. I fancy refurbing my roof in the summer, and I had seen a thread on the samba about retrofitting gas struts, think it was a post by Nigel Skeet from the T2VWOC using Volvo 340 hatchback struts IIRC.......but if these come with fixings, i think that sounds ideal....

Do you think you would have to use a metal plate of similar to spread the load across the fibreglass, i could well see the strength of the damper try to push a hole in the fibreglass, or cause a bit too much lateral flexing unless it's strengthened. Maybe you could fibreglass a hardwood batton into a suitable area and fix the bracket to this?

I also see on the site that they do other brackets and joints etc, so something could well be modified.

I'd perhaps still use the OG hinges, and use the dampers as a helper...

Are you gonna give it a bash then? ;)

Cheers!

Alistair

Yeah I had spoted the brackets, I've emailed them to see what they actually come with.i was looking at a t5 roof on a friends bus and it got me thinking.i think with the right brackets they could attach to the wooden frame that's already there.and then maybe sit outside the canvas and bolt thru the roof. I think they would be too long to fit in the sunroof apature .hopefully they will email back today.was also looking at his front hinges on the t5 and there almost identical to the bay westy ones and are a lot smoother and better made. Need to see if I can find some.

strongy said:
Yeah I had spoted the brackets, I've emailed them to see what they actually come with.i was looking at a t5 roof on a friends bus and it got me thinking.i think with the right brackets they could attach to the wooden frame that's already there.and then maybe sit outside the canvas and bolt thru the roof. I think they would be too long to fit in the sunroof apature .hopefully they will email back today.was also looking at his front hinges on the t5 and there almost identical to the bay westy ones and are a lot smoother and better made. Need to see if I can find some.

Yes, i was wondering if they would go on that wood also, though the wood would have to be tip top, i think mine is a bit crusty, as are quite a few i think....again, something to do when i refurb - let in and glass over some hardwood. I reckon there is enough room next to the canvas and fibreglass for them to fold down..

The hinges are the weak spot, even the better later front ones are not that great, so the T5 option sounds interesting, what make conversion were you looking at?

Cheers,

Alistair

Spoke to dave today and he seems interested in making a kit up I'm taking some pics this week and measurements and the chap is going to come up with something that hopefully works

aogrady said:
Hi,

Anything happen with this?

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi Alistair

Hope family is well ...

Did you ever change yours over to gas struts?
One of my rear hinges broke this week and although I can see butties bits do nice stainless steel replacements the SGS ones are a much cheaper option?

Your thoughts

David

The stainless hinges and rear struts arent that expensive David, I commisioned Butty to make these as saw there was no one reproducing good quality front hinges and stays. If you are interested in a set let me know :)

We've looked at the gas struts before and the biggest issue we have seen is getting tension on the fabric, whereas the rear stays use an over centre catch to hold the tension the gas strut cant do this and leaves the canvas baggy (well it does on the ones we have looked at. If you fitted a gas strut to get the tension I doubt youd be able to pull the roof down :lol:

I had this as a project a while ago but it's on the backburner at the moment.

I saw one or two solutions apart from Nigel Skeet's original post on this.

This is someone on The Late Bay 'Vinnyboy'

not sure where I saw this.

Latest posts