Water on cab floor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacWarrior

Reaction score
Driving in a very wet Ireland last week and water coming in from somewhere onto the cab floor.

Had a really good look around and cannot find any obvious cause of the ingress. Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

oh yes! Mine comes in through the cab door. I have fitted an inner membrane with a flap to throw the water over the bottom lip but it finds its way in and then runs into the footwell. I also get water coming in thru the aerial hole, in fact I took it out again yesterday to try and seal it but its such a crap design to fit to the bulge on the front panel there is no way i can.

Good luck finding your leak

Yeah, mine does sometimes. I reckon it’s windscreen surround or maybe wiper shafts.
As it’s kept indoors and is a ‘summer’ bus, I live with occasional mopping up.

As above ^^^ seem to be the main culprits. If you prise up your rubber seal at the bottom of the screen with something thin and plasticky you will almost definitely find water under the rubber because of the designed shape of the lower part of the screen recess, it’ll hold water then any flexing of the screen and body will eventually lead to rust and unfortunately holes too. A good way to find leaks is to make it leak on purpose so as to find the point of entry, usually a slow running hose will help find it. Once you’ve found it, then you can start thinking about how to cure it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,good luck with what you find :)

Thanks for the suggestions, i think i will get the garden hose out and see what i can find.

Cheers

As a temporary fix you can squeeze some sealant under the windscreen rubber. Just lift it with something at the edge and put the nozzle of what ever sealant you've got under the rubber and move round the window. Did this with mine and it eliminated most of the leaks. The real fix though is to have the bulge repaired and a new seal installed. Get a good seal, the Custom and Commercial one is supposed to be good, it's about £60. I now have no leaks!

As a temporary fix you can squeeze some sealant under the windscreen rubber. Just lift it with something at the edge and put the nozzle of what ever sealant you've got under the rubber and move round the window. Did this with mine and it eliminated most of the leaks. The real fix though is to have the bulge repaired and a new seal installed. Get a good seal, the Custom and Commercial one is supposed to be good, it's about £60. I now have no leaks!
If you're going to use sealant, don't use silicone, etc, but proper butyl windscreen sealer.

If you're going to use sealant, don't use silicone, etc, but proper butyl windscreen sealer.
This is what I had to do. Mine leaked terribly, even with a new scuttle and rubber. I sealed up the wiper shaft with that very runny sealer glue that uses capillary action to get into the crack. Very wet weekend camping and not one leak! Well there is a leak from the side pop out window as it’s rotten but I’ll bodge that until I swap the rubber.

This is what I had to do. Mine leaked terribly, even with a new scuttle and rubber. I sealed up the wiper shaft with that very runny sealer glue that uses capillary action to get into the crack. Very wet weekend camping and not one leak! Well there is a leak from the side pop out window as it’s rotten but I’ll bodge that until I swap the rubber.
Ah yes I've used this stuff too, Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure! I seem to remember it working well on some of the screen leaks, others were better with the sealant.

It's usually wiper spindle rubbers if they haven't been installed correctly, windscreen rubbers only tend to leak if they are the cheap ones that are too narrow or the bus has had a repair section under the windscreen as the repair panels are the wrong profile

I’ve had leaks from where the washer jets fit into the front panel as well in the past, worth a check.

Latest posts