• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - early 1967-1970 rear brake drum/s

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie524

Reaction score
Hi all,

further to a recent post I am after at least one rear brake drum as the splines in mine have worn resulting in the axle spinning inside the drum.

Anything considered!

Thanks, Rich

Judging by the chassis number on your M-Plate you have the very early drum/backing plate set up as shown below.
1154900.jpg

Hmm, I guess that's right (The one on the left!) Unforunately not easy to check at the moment as my van is presently in a different country and I can't remember!

My chassis no is 238 101 207 (as you say very early) but as far as I know its just the 101207 part that is the sequential bit isn't it? (238 meaning body shape?)

Effectively a 1968 is a split/ bay crossover in a way I suppose - perhaps SSVC might be the place to look?

Nothing's ever simple is it?!

FFS - another 1968-only part!!!

£147 each.

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13068

Rich, I have the same problem, a 67 drum will fit but will need to have the inner spline end reducing .
If you do find more than one please think of me.
Those drums being made for £147 are they what we need,,

Ron

As per the post by vwed you can swap the backing plate and use the later drum but when I priced this up the cost was about the same. However if you ever need to change the drum again in the future you will be able to use the cheaper part. Chances are that won't be for another 40 years or so though!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Also it's worth getting the drum off first as it may have had the newer backing plates in the past! There was another member who discovered that on here recently

Edit: just realised the part number is on the outside of the drum so you probably already know it's the early one :)

Ah, I'm only going from memory as to it being what I need - the van is presently across the Irish sea (or preferably, in it!) so I am going from memory.

I 'think' the £147 ones are the ones I need but I'm not confident enough to order until I get the van back to check.

The JK ones seem to be the later type (RHS image in vwed's picture) as you can see the additional lip on the rear face in the picture.

I'm hoping to get away with just doing the one side. If I was doing both then I could theoretically do the backplate conversion and get the slightly later style as well...

I'm wondering whether if might be prudent to do that anyway. They might be better at keeping dust off the wheels with that extra labyrinth seal. Then at least I could order the drums and the backplates together so I can start work as soon as the van reappears. I could still just do the affected side to keep me moving (and rebuild the other side over winter.)

Do I need new cylinders and shoes etc with the later drums?

PS I'm also hoping that the stub-axle isn't buggered too - C&C seem to be the only place with a used very-early stub axle - £200!!

I've heard that the case-hardened stub-axles usually outlast the cast drums so I hope the male splines are OK.

Dickie524 said:
Ah, I'm only going from memory as to it being what I need - the van is presently across the Irish sea (or preferably, in it!) so I am going from memory.

I 'think' the £147 ones are the ones I need but I'm not confident enough to order until I get the van back to check.

The JK ones seem to be the later type (RHS image in vwed's picture) as you can see the additional lip on the rear face in the picture.

I'm hoping to get away with just doing the one side. If I was doing both then I could theoretically do the backplate conversion and get the slightly later style as well...

I'm wondering whether if might be prudent to do that anyway. They might be better at keeping dust off the wheels with that extra labyrinth seal. Then at least I could order the drums and the backplates together so I can start work as soon as the van reappears. I could still just do the affected side to keep me moving (and rebuild the other side over winter.)

Do I need new cylinders and shoes etc with the later drums?

I think cylinders and shoes are the same but if you are changing the drum it's best to do the shoes as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dickie, hang on till you get it back. The conversion that Ed has mentioned above , may be the one where you can`t get the back plates no more. I had an issue with this a couple of years back so I had to modify some latebay backing plates to run 1970 Early drums etc. Maybe they`re making them now.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How long till its back ?

Hmm, about another week to be honest Ozzie, and i need it for Aug bank holiday so I'm sort of trying to stockpile bits ready!!

Are these the ones?

https://www.vwheritage.com/211609439d-brake-back-plate-rear-left-t2-bay-3-68-7-70

Chad, that looks like the ones for mine but I think Dickies might be earlier than that. There were none available for mine a couple of years back and a nos pair went for stupid money. It's on the other side I had to change things. These might work but I'd still want to look at what I got first.

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,,,, Spose you could always send them back :mrgreen:

Yeah - it's in the last year or so they started making them.
My understanding is that they fit the post 1/3/68 drums, the 'double-lip' ones.
For the earlier ones it's TheSamba and extortionate prices for rusty ones or change the drums and backing plates - not exactly a cheap option.

Chances of this going smoothly are rapidly approaching zero... get a vw, they said, ooh, this one's nice they said, ooh, it's a lovely colour, don't worry, you can still get all the parts for these you know, 1968 is it? Ah, well, that changes things... ffs.

Oh Rich, I feel for you I really do. I. Not sure when the changes came in but the way I'm thinking it goes is,,,,
Early 68 same as split, then the double labyrinth effort till about 71 or 72 then Late Bay versions.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,we actually call this a hobby / fun ! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure but I think that the early 68 is a bit different from the split, especially the backing plates.

https://www.vwheritage.com/211609439b-brake-back-plate-rear-left-t2-split-8-63-67

https://www.vwheritage.com/211609439d-brake-back-plate-rear-left-t2-bay-3-68-7-70

Not sure where you are in Derbyshire but can't be far from me. If you get real stuck pm me I am away over bank hol and not using van so I could take drum off for you to borrow to get you going for weekend. Sure mine the 68 only. But can anyone confirm what number stamped on outside of drum so I can check without stripping it out!

Latest posts