V5c query

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob001

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Bay-less
Van Type
none
Hi Everyone - I am currently on the hunt for an early bay, I'm not looking at a specific one at the moment but I have come across a couple over the last few months which have had a colour change which isn't reflected on the v5c. If the rest of the V5c corresponds, i.e. sellers details, vin etc would this put anyone off? My thoughts would be to ensure the seller updates the v5 before parting with any hard earned cash - I'd be keen to hear anyones thoughts on this.

Cheers.

Jim.

Hi Everyone - I am currently on the hunt for an early bay, I'm not looking at a specific one at the moment but I have come across a couple over the last few months which have had a colour change which isn't reflected on the v5c. If the rest of the V5c corresponds, i.e. sellers details, vin etc would this put anyone off? My thoughts would be to ensure the seller updates the v5 before parting with any hard earned cash - I'd be keen to hear anyones thoughts on this.

Cheers.

Jim.
Hi Jim, good luck with your search. I’m not that worried about the colour if the vin / chassis number are ok. If you think there’s skullduggery afoot then I’d walk away. It’s a rare colour change indeed that you won’t find some original paint somewhere if you look hard enough in the nooks and crannies. These old beasties are fifty and more years old and some will have had several colour changes. There’s also the M Plate and that will tell you all the details of how that exact van left the factory ,it’s usually up behind the passenger seat. If that’s missing I’d start to be a tad concerned. If you practice on the M plate decoder, you’ll know about years, colours, extras etc etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, it’s all about the rust :)

Just make sure the stamped in VINs are present, on a bay up to and including 71MY its in the engine bay on the right hand side on an angled plate just in front of the air cleaner stand. Dont just check the rivetted on plate as they are easy to swap over.

I wouldn't be too worried about a non-declared colour change, one of my previous buses was blue on the logbook but had 6 different colours over the top.

If the basic colour-scheme has been changed, one is legally obliged to declare it, so if the traffic police stop you for whatever reason and your recorded vehicle details are inaccurate, you could find yourself in a "sticky" situation, even if it was a former owner who failed to notify the DVLA of changes that were made before you acquired the vehicle.

One of the changes in vehicle details that owners probably commonly fail to notify to the DVLA, is the engine number of a substitute engine and/or the change in displacement, if the stroke and/or bore have been changed. This was the case with the scruffy, 1974 VW 1800 Type 2 panel-van that my father and I bought in 1991, as a VW Type 4 engine & matching-transaxle donor.

The registration document of my 1973 model-year, VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan, was recorded as white/orange, but it should have been recorded as orange/white, because in terms of total visible painted area, orange is the dominant colour, as I explained in detail to the DVLA, along with rectifying a few other "clerical" errors!

Latest posts