Type 4 engine issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simshaz

Reaction score
So
I bought a 72 crossover that had no engine and recently sourced a 1700 type 4 i heard running before i bought it. Seller told me it needed carbs sorting, timing setting up and the missing tinware sourcing... all doable
Engine is in my workshop on the engine stand as i clean and fettle it.
So cleaning off the old gaskets from the inlet on the engine and i can see something inside the inlet for cylinder number 1. I cant blow it out with the airline so manoeuvre it into view with soft wire and pull it out with long nose pliers.
It looks like half a valve guide, inch or so long and half a tube made of what looks to be brass, its been in there a while whilst the engine was being used as the edges are smoothed off real well. I can feel the valve guide on number 1 with my fingers and cannot see any broken bits.
Stumped
Looks the same and feels the same as the other inlet valves so no smoking gun.
Any ideas
Could it be something dropped through the carb ?
Do i need to pull the heads off ?

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Offending item

Just a head and a piston set surely (if the bottom end feel sound for end float etc)? Looks like you're half way there stripdown wise...

Where is the best place to buy heads and piston sets, rest of the motor feels ok

Coolair, VW Heritage? If it was me I'd look for a 2nd hand head and get new P&Bs to manage the cost.

This is all just an idea however. I only have Type 2 experience really, not tyoe 4 so am not so familiar with prices of P&B kits, heads or complete engines but what I suggest could definitely be cost efficient for a Tyoe 2 engine.

Good plan and sensible advice, getting 2nd hand heads is an idea I will look at.
Will put a wanted post on the board and see what comes up ... new guides are easy and cheap enough.
Thanks

Latest posts