Twin Carbs - EMPI own Weber?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
So, I am researching twin carbs and most threads I find people are recommending to stay away from fitting EMPI carbs such as the HPMX due to quality issues and choose a genuine Weber instead.

I then find these (and clench at the price, but that's not the main point here):

http://www.machine7.com/section.php?xSec=2798

You can see that they are Webers, made by EMPI.

I do remember reading years ago, something about EMPI buying Weber? I cannot remember, but can someone clarify for me.

Is it just the direct EMPI products that are potentially poor quality or are Weber products, made by EMPI now also affected?

Can you buy new genuine Webers anymore or is it just the EMPI versions? :sign0009:

Those kits are EMPI manifolds and linkages, etc with Weber carbs.
Get a decent CSP bellcrank linkage rather than those, even the CB Performance hex bar linkages are poor.
Genuine Webers are available from Eurocarb or Webcon.

sparkywig said:
Those kits are EMPI manifolds and linkages, etc with Weber carbs.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. So, Webers are still good quality (even though it looks like they are made in Spain)? :?:

sparkywig said:
Get a decent CSP bellcrank linkage rather than those, even the CB Performance hex bar linkages are poor.
Genuine Webers are available from Eurocarb or Webcon.

Like this?:
https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/vw-carburettor-kits-parts/vw-aircooled-carburettor-kits/weber-dual-40idf-carb-kits/type-1-twin-idf-40-kit-cspweber/

:poke:

I've got original Italian IDF 40s on the bus and they were a pig to get set up right. Although, touch wood, they've been fine for the last few years.
I've got Spanish IDF 40s on the squareback, and they were simple to set up because they were brand new. No issues whatsoever.

That kit is fine, although the jetting will be only in the ballpark and get you running, you'll need to get it set up properly on a rolling road.

I had 40 HPMX's fitted when I purchased my van, however replaced them for a pair of Spanish 40 IDF's as the originals leaked petrol into the sump.

I spoke with a number of people more knowledgeable than me who advised on the upgrade. I purchased the Weber's from someone like Webcon (can't remember) and bought CSP manifolds & bellcrank linkage separately.

Since the upgrade I've had over 6000 miles trouble free driving. I'm really pleased with the CSP linkage especially as on my old split the Scat one used to snap the accelerator cable due to the tension on the pivot. I always carry a spare cable but touch wood never needed it so far.

I'd also recommend a Buttys Bits throttle kit if you don't already have one.

Csp bellcrank is IMHO the best linkage in terms of reliability and ease of setup and looks. It works flawlessly, it compensates when the engine gets hot and grows, so win win.
My experience with Spanish Webers is that they are better quality than the Chinese but inferior to the Italians. Still quite decent anyway.
The Empi ICT 34 is really bad, the shafts get worn very quickly, same as the first HPMX.
Some say the next generation HPMX is better, but i have not tried it.

Abel

I used the HPMX on my 1915.
On The Samba lots of people prefer the HPMX to the IDF.

So not all EMPI stuff is shit.

I'll have results of the HPMX june 22nd as then it gets dyno-ed.

As sparky says speak to Eurocarb.

Spainish Webers are superb! I used to have Italian 48 IDF's on my 2110 but I was for ever fiddling with them which in the end pissed me off :lol:
So I got a brand new set of Spainish 48's which have been spot on for 3 years and never given any issue.

I recommend the CSP manifolds along with their superb linkage, all other linkages are garbage especially the CB.

Thanks gents, twin, new, Spanish Webber 40IDF's with a CSP Bell-crank linkage is on the shopping list then. :party0021:

Latest posts