SWF VW Rear chrome light surrounds - which lens?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyvan

Reaction score
I have acquired some rear VW SWF chrome lens surrounds.

They are slightly smaller than the aftermarket surrounds (as seen in the photo) and do not fit the aftermarket lenses. The screw holes are in the correct place for the body work though.
The aftermarket surrounds are painted cream in the photo and i have a photo of the swf surround inside the aftermarket with approx 2mm gap all round.

My question is this:-
where would i buy a quality lens to fit the SWF? Because of the size did they belong to a splitty perhaps or are the aftermarket bits just a different size?

The SWF ones only fit the all-red US lenses. The Euro lenses with the indicator never came with metal trims, but instead (I think I'm right in saying) had the option of having a silver painted rim to mimic the effect. I assume your aftermarket ones are intended to fit the larger Euro lenses, but the only way the SWF ones are going to fit is if you use US lenses, or trim down the Euro ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have exactly the same issue right now... I also have the same reproduction larger trims that I took off today because they were rusted through. I can't find anywhere that sells these...only the ones with the chromed plastic edges.

did the rear lights on UK vans originally have the plastic chrome edge as per the repro lenses??

wallyvan said:
did the rear lights on UK vans originally have the plastic chrome edge as per the repro lenses??

Yes, UK buses never had the separate chrome surrounds.
I bought new repro lenses from Simon Kelley, notch1500 on ebay. Good quality bits.

And combined with the new Hella style light units from C&C I've never enjoyed some much rear visibility.

You can fit cheap aftermarket lenses to the SWF rims. If you buy the ones that don't need a rim, all you need to do is sand down the outside until they fit in the chrome rim. Done this a couple of times myself with no problems. I usuall use a fine flap wheel on an angle grinder to speed things up and then finish by hand.

I just did this too in the end... it was a bit scrappy but once in they look great

Quick cut with a Dremel (then sanded a bit to remove excess...they melted a bit)
18095883_308440302903648_7277527349531246592_n.jpg

Inside the SWF rim
18011597_1840193092972827_8806764740333273088_n.jpg

On the bus (bottom pic is before with the rusted larger repo rims)
18095781_1897476727196239_1045621646615904256_n.jpg

Latest posts