Strange noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simshaz

Reaction score
Just finished getting my 72 crossover on the road and UK registered.
I have a strange noise i need some help to diagnose. It happens under load when driving slowly through the gears, if i put my foot down a little it goes away or reduces and is masked by the engine.
Noise sounds like metal on metal grinding, does not happen when i just rev the motor. As it is a type 4 engine i assumed it was the fan in the aluminium housing but surely this would be the same if i just revved the engine.
Gearbox has had a recent oil change but suppose it could be a box issue, gear changes are silky smooth
Any ideas guys

Could be a worn gearbox bearing? If your gear changes are ok, I'd personally drive it and look at rebuilding when the noise was more obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Possibly some tin ware rattling or the alternator or have a look at the belt, starter sticking on and staying engaged maybe ? Possibly drive shafts. Can you record it :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,Describing noises is an art form in itself :mrgreen:

'Sounds' like a noise my 71 made when the back wheel bearings were on their way out. Only happened after hour or so of running at motorway speeds, (55!!!). New bearings, problem gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE
found the root cause of the noise
Had a day off today and had planned a job or 3 on the Bus
Started off by ripping out both driveshafts and replacing the CV's, Boots and using the existing shaft whatcha was in good condition, just a scrub down with some emery cloth and a quick spray. No backlash in the shafts now so happy with that. Took her out for a test run but metal to metal sound still there ...
I had a replacement fan unit for the type4 as was never really happy with the original one so swapped that out ... test run and the noise still there.
Jacked the back up and spun the wheels and there is the bloody noise, wasn't there when i rebuilt them.
Drums off and the leading edge is rubbed shiny. There are just 2 points at 8pm and 4pm on the backplate it is rubbing on, evidenced by shiny metal
So i know where the noise is coming from so looks like a strip down both sides and grind out the backplate or the leading edge of the drum by 1mm

Latest posts