Spindle advice needed!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlestHobo

Reaction score
Hi,

This is only the second time I have picked up a spanner in anger so please excuse my naivety/ stupidity. I am in the middle of refurbing my front brakes due to a the driver side caliper getting stuck. In the process of this I've realised my bearings are fried and this has led to scoring the spindle.

I've looked around for a stock replacement but all I can find is dropped spindles - had been thinking of a mild drop for the bus sometime anyway.

To be honest I'm finding the suspension dropping options rather bewildering (reminding me slightly of trying to navigate the tube network after 10 pints of continental lager). To complicate matters I have a 71 bus with I believe, the earlier caliper.

So, does anyone know if are there any new stock or second hand spindles available?

If I choose/ need to use drop spindles (I don't want to go participatory low) are there any spindles I should use for the early caliper? Is there anything I need to be aware of/ watch out for? Is it just a case of swapping out the spindles?

Thanks for any help/ advice!!

Cheers
Simon

Hi there, as soon as you start talking about lowering and changing anything from stock, go and have a word with your bank manager and make sure he's friendly. Stock is best, as soon as you start lowering, one thing leads to another and very rarely can you just fit the part you think you're gonna fit without something else being required. The lowering gurus thread on here is mostly good info but you do need to wade through it. If you ain't so spesh with the spanners, find out who is near you and you could go and try out some of what they've done. You got Evil Ben down on the coast, CJ motors and the Dub shop near here in Bristol Midland Early Bay in the Midlands and the list goes on, so give us a clue where you are and we'll maybe have someone lives near you that could recommend someone. If you don't have too much spanner experience, it really isn't a good idea to stray from stock.

Ozziedog ',,,,,, Good luck bud :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice - have decided to stay with stock and live with the scoring for now. The guys from Midland were very helpful and thought they may have a stock spindle if I needed one.

LittlestHobo said:
Thanks for the advice - have decided to stay with stock and live with the scoring for now. The guys from Midland were very helpful and thought they may have a stock spindle if I needed one.

Good to hear it, and don't forget that it's always worth asking the question on here. Run with what you got for now and chat to other guys and gals too that you'll meet on your travels and shows etc.

Ozziedog,,, ,,, some good uns on ere :mrgreen:

I'm in Suffolk and after the same . Any advice would be great
Regards Dan

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Latest posts