Sliding door welding

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbo

Reaction score
Hi just had welder to put in repair panel on sliding door. He has only tacked it on the top edge every couple of inches, sure it should have been seam welded am I correct. It is also stuck out a bit at the bottom can I get a good length of substantial wood and hammer the wood to also try to push it back into place. Thanks

Like sparky says. Take it back to do it correctly or get your money back and get someone decent to do it

Some people do that as they are afraid or warping the panel with it being so large. A proper welder will be able to do it without warping it.

Bottom bit seems suspect though :msn4:

It’s not unusual to be welded that way, the bottom edge is due to the repair panel, where did you get it from? Hammer and a piece of wood the widge of the door is fine to adjust it, 3x2 is best

Hi many thanks for the replies so far, the repair panels were from Schofields and seems o.k. The bottom edge seems to be about a 1/4 of an inch out in places. Will try to adjust as having the welder back is not an option the rest of his work was pretty good.

Hi just a quick update, managed quite easily to get the alignment of the sliding door looking very good, found it a lot easier than I first thought now for the filling. Many thanks for all the suggestions received as always of a great help, what would we do without this forum full of people always ready to give their time and valued help for free. Thanks once again.

hobbo said:
Hi just a quick update, managed quite easily to get the alignment of the sliding door looking very good, found it a lot easier than I first thought now for the filling. Many thanks for all the suggestions received as always of a great help, what would we do without this forum full of people always ready to give their time and valued help for free. Thanks once again.

Good you got it resolved.

What was your solution in the end? :poke:

Hi used a good straight piece of 3"x2" just over the width of the door and a leather headed hammer which was not too heavy but substantial enough. Found that it was the bottom edge which had turned up possibly due to heat, it easily formed into nearly the correct shape right away. Needed a little more adjustment higher up to get the correct curvature, a few more whacks on the lower edge everything looking pretty good, did this with the door in the closed position. Filled and painted quite passable but not perfect, but looks far better than the rot that was there.

hobbo said:
Hi used a good straight piece of 3"x2" just over the width of the door and a leather headed hammer which was not too heavy but substantial enough. Found that it was the bottom edge which had turned up possibly due to heat, it easily formed into nearly the correct shape right away. Needed a little more adjustment higher up to get the correct curvature, a few more whacks on the lower edge everything looking pretty good, did this with the door in the closed position. Filled and painted quite passable but not perfect, but looks far better than the rot that was there.

Well done, sounded like it worked well and a good explanation for others. :party0021:

I have been waiting for my sliding door to 'settle' for a while now, I assumed thst the new rubber seals were pushing it out, but I think I might give it a little persuasion as you have. :character0036:

Latest posts