single port v twin port 1600

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatie2468

Reaction score
I've had lots of beetles in my early driving years but my 72 crossover is my first type 2 and it seems to run out of steam very quickly it currently has a B code single port 1600 engine I was going to fit a twin port 1600 with a progressive carb and quiet pack exhaust to get a little more out of it but the basic research I have carried out suggests there is little to choose between the respective 1600's. The engine in my van runs lovely no oil leaks so you can appreciate my reluctance to remove it for perceived power increase the twin port might give. Does any one have any suggestions for improving the power of my existing 1600 engine which runs out of puff around 55mph. I've sourced a progressive carb from the states for the SP lump as they don't seem to be available over here. But reluctant to buy it if ultimately I should concentrate my efforts on the TP motor. Any experiences or advice would be welcomed

thanks

Might be worth checking first that you are actually getting full throttle.

I would think the biggest bang for buck would be getting twin carbs rather than a progressive. Especially if you are confident in the engine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would agree with Adam on that one. Twin carbs will help with top end, fuel economy(assuming you don't have a heavy right foot) and a bit of low end.

Not run a single port engine, but I guess the 1600s aren't brilliant at pushing a rather un-aerodynamic bus around at high speeds.

I can just about get 70 out of my dual port with twin weber 34ict, but that's pushing over 4k on the tach so tend to sit at about 60 ish which is around 3600rpm I think..

The other question I would have is what rear tyre size are you running?

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Once again thanks for the responses think I will first check the travel on the throttle cable and may ultimately invest in some twin carbs for the single port engine
Cheers

As the others say check it over first before you change owt. What size rear tyres you using. Are you getting full throttle. Timing ok, tappets ok, correct jets in carb.

Tyre size is 195 65 15 which gives same rolling diameter as 185 r14c I think I need to check I'm getting full throttle
Cheers

I've had various engines in various dubs over the years . Twin and single ports and I must admit although running a twin port at the moment I loved the single ports . They always seemed to have a bit more torque yes they may run out of steem at 60/65 ish but why would you want to go any faster ?
As above if you got an engine that you trust , gently mod that but single ports running properly are a good engine in my opinion [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Latest posts