RUSTY THE CAMPER GOES FOR RESTO

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now for the bottom section, .... it seems that the lower section of front panel was welded on to the bottom inner front panel in a few places across the bottom edge but not many

The section pictured below are meant to be welded ... not just stuck together with foam

P1010918.jpg

P1010920.jpg

P1010921.jpg

P1010922.jpg

Now for the cab floor, we were expecting a few patches that would need to be either looked at or the cab section would have a new floor......... but not this

alloy panels pop riveted to the floor with filler over the top

P1010934.jpg

P1010938.jpg

P1010939.jpg

P1010940.jpg

P1010941.jpg

P1010942.jpg

P1010946.jpg

P1010948.jpg

The Owner{ James } came up today for a visit, chat and a cuppa, seemed pleased with the amount of rot we are removing from his van and looking forward to the extra mpg he will be getting due to the decrease in weight

Here is today's progress, finished early today as its Christmas eve

Removed the rest of the front chassis sections and the other areas we are going to replace, including the front beam

P1010967.jpg

P1010964.jpg

What is left of the o/s B post lower section after removing the rust and under-seal, both inner arches are going to need work

P1010965.jpg

Started to grind back all the leftovers of what I don't need, I will probably doing this for a few days when I return

P1010972.jpg

Here are some pics of the part we are going to replace once we have trimmed it down to fit{a lovely rust free RHD South African imported chassis section}

P1010971.jpg

P1010970.jpg

This is how it all looked before I left today

P1010974.jpg

P1010973.jpg

P1010975.jpg

camperman3617865 said:
After having a strange phone call earlier this evening, I would like to apologise for not removing the calendar on the inside of the unit door before I took the pics.
REALLY ? :roll:

Anyway well done for daring to try and save this bus , it seems whoever done previous work wanted to suffocate it in Expanda foam and rockwool :vomit:

Best of luck with the progress mate !

camperman3617865 said:
After having a strange phone call earlier this evening, I would like to apologise for not removing the calendar on the inside of the unit door before I took the pics.

Didn't offend me fella

Keep up the good work

Just

Grazy said:
camperman3617865 said:
REALLY ? :roll:

Anyway well done for daring to try and save this bus , it seems whoever done previous work wanted to suffocate it in Expanda foam and rockwool :vomit:

Best of luck with the progress mate !

Mike {Toad on early bay } and I are used to doing the jobs that most garages wouldn't go near. We seem to be getting more and more of them every year, so we must be doing something right :)

I didn't even notice the calendar till you said something. LOL Doesn't offend me either, can barely see it. Barely. LOL

Wow, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Looking good though!! :D

is it economically viable to restore this ? sure if its a rare bus (this isn`t) but this must be costing a fortune !! seriously good work tho and you guys must love doing it

lhu128l said:
is it economically viable to restore this ? sure if its a rare bus (this isn`t) but this must be costing a fortune !! seriously good work tho and you guys must love doing it

Its only economically viable to restore if the owner feels its worth it in the end. There is also sentimental value to consider.
Looking at the price bays in good condition are fetching these days, we feel its fully viable.

CHRISTMAS OFFER
I will give a free air cooled service to anyone who can guess how much the job is {NOT OPEN TO THE OWNERS FAMILY AND FRIENDS}

lhu128l said:

not if he's doing the work himself. £500 / £1000 on panels, welding gas, wire and grinding discs, bus will be worth more to him knowing its solid and good workmanship (I guess)

Latest posts