rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Si, so the short answer is NO.
Willing to try anything now as getting close to the limits of my knowledge.
If it is wiring in the loom someplace it is going to be murder trying to find it.

Cool set of gauges and glad to see you went with VDO. My old temp gauge over read
by 40 degrees and scarred the crap out of me when normal driving was at 130 degrees. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Better late than never.
After a couple of weeks of ill health I managed a an hour or so of wiring.
6 pin connectors for gauges, ignition feed, ground, lighting feed and ground, oil temp sender and oil pressure sender.

All seems to work OK.

Still not fully recovered, can manage a few hours now though.

Anyway, fed up of dim headlights and not willing to part with almost £200 for new Hella units?
Get some cheap Mk I Golf headlights from eBay.
Before.
10 year old dull reflectors and ancient lamps.

Side lights

Dipped beam

New eyes.

Side lights

Dipped beam

What a difference.
The quality isn't brilliant, had some issues with the side light lamp holder, but a set of headlights for £40.

They look much better. Might have to get myself a pair, apparently mine has passed the last 8 MOT's with LHD lenses on :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lights look aces, am looking at doing this. Quick annoying question, did you have to add/weld an extra couple of fitting tabs into the headlight bowls, as the old hella three screw units only have 1 fitting tab in mine?

Hello, I'm back.

Fed up of tripping over the "new" door in the garage and worried about damaging it, so it's time to fit it.

A pillar revealed and cleaned up, primed and painted.

Door on, but was a right PITA to get hanging right and shut without interference.

The cause of the issues became clear upon further investigation. When the bodyshop repaired the rear corner and lower seal channel they didn't remove the rotten metal and scarfe in new, but added the repair over the top.
And along with filler and paint the door has increased in size in all the wrong places, causing the door to hit the arch and B pillar.
In my frustration I remedied the issues with a block of wood and lump hammer, to say I was pissed off would be an understatement, especially going by the after effects....

Still, the door fits now. :roll:

Fitting up the rear of the door was frustrating as well.
Lock mechanism and handle, glass in, rear window channel, window mech, outer scraper, quarter light and frame, inner scraper, fit glass to mech, felt channel, then cab door seal.
Sounds easy, doesn't it.

This was 8 o'clock last night.

I have to do the doors yet so any tips gratefully welcomed :)
Looks good even after all the trials and tribulations!!

done doors on mine but found near impossible to line upon own waiting to get extra pair of hands on to help with alignment then off to paint.But might be extra job for body shop to rehang doors.They never seem to fit exactly the same as the ones that come off.
Good to know I'm not only one finding them a struggle🤠

gninnam said:
I have to do the doors yet so any tips gratefully welcomed :)
Looks good even after all the trials and tribulations!!

My issues stem from any years ago when I did the offside A pillar and arch with the bus on a two post ramp, and then replaced the gutter/roof section over the cab to get an MOT.
Get the doors fitting properly first before painting them.
Then protect all the paint before fitting the doors up, ever so easy to scratch the doors with the scrapers and quarter light frame.

Lock mechanism and handle, glass in resting on the bottom of the door, rear window channel, window mech, outer scraper, quarter light and frame, inner scraper, fit glass to mech, felt channel, then cab door seal.

It's almost 10 years since I did the nearside door, that could do with a freshen up as well. Especially at the rear corner where the rain sits.

Calais/Gent/Ninove/Freddyfiles/Westvleteren 2019

Checked oil and tyre pressures Thursday lunchtime and then set off for Folkestone.
Here waiting for the shuttle to France.

Met up with Darius & Lyn and headed for our hotel at Coquelles just outside Calais.
Friday morning we drove to Gent with a couple of deviations, one of which was a tour around the outskirts of Dunkerque.
After driving straight through the pedestrian only area by the canal we eventually ended up in a multi-storey car park. :lol:

I can recommend a stop-over in Gent.

Found Graham & Jenni and Steve & Liv in a bar funnily enough, and it just went from there.
Pizza time and then onto big beers.

Had to have one of these as well.

Saturday breakfast at the Wasbar.
Yes, it is a launderette....

Latest posts