Roofracks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notoadis

Reaction score
So this is my first time and i will start with a bone question or two.

I have just got my 1970 Sunroof Deluxe camper and i need to fit a roof rack or two to my van so i can put my boards (including a 10ft longboard) on the roof. I am thinking a three bar on the rear and a two bar on the front so the boards can span the sunroof without having it permenantly covered by a full length rack.

I have two issues, the first is all the racks i find have rails around them, all good for your ratty eskies, but for putting boards on i need the boards to sit flush on the rack. Thus i need a good looking set of roof racks like many of them out there without the rails around them? any ideas where i can find one?

The second is more of a aesthetic question, my van is reasonably lowered and i have noticed a lot of racks on slammed vans seem to look slightly out of place as they sit a little proud and high off the roof. Is there a reason why the racks sit quite so high and does anyone know of "lowered racks for lowered vans"?

Thank you

There was a company that I used to see at shows who made bespoke roofracks for Busses... They were called Design Engineering or something similar... Im sure someone on here will know if they are still in business

AGC said:
There was a company that I used to see at shows who made bespoke roofracks for Busses... They were called Design Engineering or something similar... Im sure someone on here will know if they are still in business

Design 21 - but no longer operating...... there is someone on here and for the life of me I cant remember who, making racks to order, east coast somewhere I believe......

if its any use... ive got a creative engineering westy style 3 bow rack.... with the rails you speak of....

when carrying my board i unbolt one or 2 of the rail uprights on the front and back and slide them out the way...
the board the slides in onto the rack under the rail...

having it under the rail helps secure it to the rack better i find....

my 2 pence worth! :mrgreen:

thru_a_lupe said:
if its any use... ive got a creative engineering westy style 3 bow rack.... with the rails you speak of....

when carrying my board i unbolt one or 2 of the rail uprights on the front and back and slide them out the way...
the board the slides in onto the rack under the rail...

having it under the rail helps secure it to the rack better i find....

my 2 pence worth! :mrgreen:

I do this with my girlfriends board :mrgreen: best way and really secure 8)

I found this little beauty last week,fits my long board and all my camping gear leaving the cabin free.
Ive since removed the pvc pipe.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

That with the rails seems like a great option, and I did something similiar years ago but used to have a couple of lengths of pipe insulation (slit) that I used to slide over the rails which made a great firm and quite tight ride for my boards. But I`m trying for the life of me to think of the dude that does the racks, it`s something like (and please forgive me for getting it wrong) ;) Slack Rick or Slick Rick,, he`s got a promo poem that sorta goes,, Slack Rick`s slick racks or something like that, not sure if he was on here or VZI. But as far as height goes,,,,, Slam it as you desire :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Heeees your bus, do as you will :mrgreen:

P.S. I`ve been looking for clues as to where you are from the photos ?? ;) I can`t work it out but it must be a bit further north from where I was. So if you get down my way on the peninsula, say hello to Bells for me and if you`re over on the other (Mornington) Shout out the window when you go past Rosebud where I spent a lot of summers with my mates family camped for the summer, is the fun fair still at the end ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, I never ever ever miss the place ;) :mrgreen: :roll:

ozziedog said:
P.S. I`ve been looking for clues as to where you are from the photos ?? ;) I can`t work it out but it must be a bit further north from where I was. So if you get down my way on the peninsula, say hello to Bells for me and if you`re over on the other (Mornington) Shout out the window when you go past Rosebud where I spent a lot of summers with my mates family camped for the summer, is the fun fair still at the end ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, I never ever ever miss the place ;) :mrgreen: :roll:

Hey there Ozziedog i'm up the road a bit in Brisbane,Queensland but i know the area you mention. ;)

Latest posts