Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First proper update for a while. After all the new bits going on, and having a look round the bus I was a bit concerned that the sliding door wasn't going to go back in the hole! with a new floor, sills (inner outer and middle, bulkhead repair, B post inner and outer, chances were that it wasn't going to fit. But it does! took a bit of faffing about to get in mounted on my own, and a bit more faffing to get it adjusted up, but perfect (well almost!) just a bit of adjustment needed on the B Post, but that's OK :) Well chuffed.

So, decided to strip the door as it is really Krusty at the bottom

Loads of filler! Why am I surprised, anyway

Stripped the door and lined up outer repair panel

Marked up and cut

Off it comes

Kurust (or equivalent!)

Trial fit outer repair, cleco'd in place

Flipped over to check Krapenholm repair panel, still looking for a better quality piece!

Measured up (Thanks Trikky)

Cleaned up inside top half of door

All etched and red oxide to protect :)

I think I'm missing a bit from the inside of the door but can't work out what it is! It fits in here! Front of the door just under the window!

Tomorrow need to give this a thought on how to repair! :(

Hopefully more tomorrow!

In between, also managed to get the daughters boyfriends frame sprayed! He wants a Mk1 Golf in Tornado Red!

Guess this will do for the moment :)

Crap pics, but really chuffed with the results :) etch primed, high build primer, 4 coats of Tornado Red followed by 6 coats high gloss clear lacquer :)

sparkywig said:
Hello Nick, long time no see. :)
hi ya :) yeah was thinking and looking back through this thread and I haven't been about or done anything for over 18 months! How's it going? Just catching up on your thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get that body welded up Nick, need somewhere for the nice motor me & my mate are gonna build you ;)

No progress on sliding door today due to shite weather! but....

Managed to get these blasted! took hours! underseal, read oxide, paint, crap and rust!

And in etch primer. Hoped to get Red Oxide on but ran out of time! :(

Left bearings seals and bushes in as they are all shot and didn't want to fuck up the bearing surfaces :) I'll get them knocked out and new ones in over the next week or so! and then once back end of bus is sorted will have some nice clean bits to bolt back on!

Not much done in the last week or so, but have cleaned out and tidied the garage so now I've found all the bits I've lost as well as a few tools I didn't remember having :)

Sorted out the rear hub carriers, been blasted, and painted up, and fitted new internals

Inner bearing goes in first

then circlip

lastly inner Seal

Over it goes for inner spacer, lined up with stub axle!

then outer bearing and seal

and turned down late bay hubs with redrilled 5x130 for my cookies :)

Pair done and trial fitted the Oldspeed Porsche 944 brake mount

Sweet :)

Then took a look at the rear corner that had been bugging me, so out it came and started to fab up a piece to fit.

More tomorrow?!

Cheers guys :)

Bit of a downer! Just tried dropping a cookie cutter onto the built up hub and I've got 944 Turbo rear discs and they're 100mm deep, so need to pick up a pair of NA discs which are 71mm deep. :roll:

But then, found that the rims don't drop over the studs! Looks like two of the studs are 2mm out and there's no way they're going to fit! :evil: Fuckin unbelievable! :evil:

Not cool man :? I'm just gonna stick with drums I think, I have strong legs but will deffo need to keep the brakes adjusted :lol:

hi there, I have just gone through your thread from beginning to end and i really admire your fortitude and persistence, keep up the good work man - Respect :worship:

ground hugger said:
Nick-Rackham said:

Could be the camera angle and shadows but,looks to me like the bottom stud on the left isn't pressed square against the hub...could be why the pcd is out...Dave

Thanks Dave, I hadn't noticed that! time for a trip to spec savers again! I'll check them later! Good spot :)

subheatadey said:
hi there, I have just gone through your thread from beginning to end and i really admire your fortitude and persistence, keep up the good work man - Respect :worship:

Cheers dude :) It's like the Forth Road Bridge! not sure sometimes I'll ever finish it and it'l be left to my kids, and then Grandkids to carry on! But getting there slowly :)

Couple of hour this afternoon here in Sunny Suffolk (JTH - that's slightly nearer the equator than Narfuck ;)) so instead of sitting on my arse on a cold garage floor decided to strip the rear hatch!

Not too bad! Three areas on the list for repair

And same three areas on the outer skin!

Not as bad as I first thought, and window surround all good :) Happy Days

ground hugger said:
Nick-Rackham said:

Could be the camera angle and shadows but,looks to me like the bottom stud on the left isn't pressed square against the hub...could be why the pcd is out...Dave

I had a look at these today, gave them a few taps with a hammer and they started to square up. Might be worth knocking the studs out and then try refitting them straight.

Latest posts