Repairing front door cost

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko

Reaction score
Hi all,

Unfortunetly the scraper have started to perish and has let water into the doors. this is now rusting the underside of both front doors and needs plated.

does anyone know if this is a difficult job to get done and what ballpark figure could I expect someone to charge?

Cheers

It's a job you can do yourself, but you have to be patient:

IMG_1322_zps3351f09e.jpg

IMG_1328_zpsb30140f2.jpg

IMG_1331_zpsb6c677a3.jpg

IMG_1335_zps5b86d440.jpg

Here you can read a how to:

http://www.amescador.nl/documenten/Portierruitrubbersvervangen.pdf

This was one of the most irritating jobs I've done on my bus. The first one took me about 2 evenings, but now I could probably do the whole thing in 15 minutes. Haven't read the link but I did follow one.

the bit that's hardest is the scraper clips that go in the the door. Easiest way I found now is a long flathead screwdriver up the inside of the door to push them in.

I got the scrapers from VWHeritage and although VW I presume new repo ones which don't fit all that great at the ends (when the quarter light is).

Also, it's my understanding the doors do leak and you can't stop that, you just need to ensure the plastic sheeting is there, you've wax oiled inside and the drain hole at the bottom is clear

Whistler said:
This was one of the most irritating jobs I've done on my bus. The first one took me about 2 evenings, but now I could probably do the whole thing in 15 minutes. Haven't read the link but I did follow one.

the bit that's hardest is the scraper clips that go in the the door. Easiest way I found now is a long flathead screwdriver up the inside of the door to push them in.

I got the scrapers from VWHeritage and although VW I presume new repo ones which don't fit all that great at the ends (when the quarter light is).

Also, it's my understanding the doors do leak and you can't stop that, you just need to ensure the plastic sheeting is there, you've wax oiled inside and the drain hole at the bottom is clear

Agreed.

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully it doesn't cost too much to have the underside repaired!

Agreed : pain in the bum but looks nice when finished : one of my pillars was rotten which was unexpected so don't do this just before your planning a week-end away cos you wont have a window.

I would be interested to hear on costs for repairing the bottom of the doors with new metal. I've seen a thread on here somewhere on how to weld new metal in place but can't find it again. Mine are basically both filler..

and definitely put the plastic sheet in or your door cards will rot pretty quickly !

Changing the scapers isnt too hard, but as stated, water will still enter the doors - its designed to. Repair the doors, fill with wax, clear the drain holes and ensure the plastic is in place.

Latest posts