Registering Earlybay in UK

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey

Reaction score
Folks, I'm wondering if someone could lend their advise - what is the procedure and cost of importing a classic into the UK. In my case it would be my Earlybay which is in Ireland.

I would imagine it's very straight forward as my bus is registered in Ireland and from speaking to one potential buyer he mentioned a fee of £50, although I don't know for certain.

Also my bus landed into Felixstowe from California, and the duties and taxes were paid in the UK. I've documents from HM Revenue and Customs to prove this - I'm presuming that would make it even easier for a UK based buyer?

Any help or advise much appreciated, Mikey.

Hi Mikey

Yes fairly straight forward your need to complete a V55/5 form for the DVLA
Registration fee is £55.
I don't it recently for mine and all went very quick and smoothly

Graham L on here has a guide for completing the V55/5 ( if you search for V55/5 on here your find some useful info)

You will need

V55/5 form
Mot
Insurance Cert
HM Customs Nova Form to state no duty is due (Shouldn't be any from Ireland)
Original registration documents, Irish one in your case as thats where you are importing from. But worth attaching a copy of the US as well if you have it
Think thats it
Someone will be along to add anything I've missed / got incorrect

Good Luck with it

Chico

Chico, thanks for that! :D

That's great always nice when it's straight forward - thats a similar set up for me importing into Ireland.

Cheers, Mikey.

Chico said:
Hi Mikey

HM Customs Nova Form to state no duty is due (Shouldn't be any from Ireland)

Do you know of any reasons why there should be duty or VAT due? I'm the one who's considering buying Mikeys bus and want to make sure I don't get stuck with a £2k VAT bill. : )

Is the vehicle registered in Ireland?

If so presumably you had to prove you had imported it and paid the duty when it came into Ireland in the first place?

If it is registered then you will still need to self register on the NOVA system via the government gateway but there will be no duty to pay as its a purchase from one EU country to another. Saying that things are not at always straight forward with the HMRC and DVLA :)

If it was never registered in Ireland then you will need a NOVA number for its import into the UK to prove duties were paid on it originally.

I had a conversation regarding NOVA with HMRC on Friday - You can ring up and quote the chassis number and they will check for you straight away if it is paid. If it is then they just check electronically when you send in the rest of the paperwork.

I'm doing mine as we speak but mine's straight from the USA without a trip to ireland first!

Ah that's handy, I'll give them a bell.

The paperwork says it's been paid but if they've got their own records there's no danger of them saying otherwise.

Latest posts