Rear wheel bearing axial play

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlepecha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
M-codes
095 508 697 A01
Evening all,

Replaced the rear wheel bearings on my bus over the past few days, with good quality German FEBI bearings (came in the parts the PO gave me).

I changed them because I thought I had a bit too much axial play on the offside, after all that work its still the same!

Measured about 0.3mm in-out movement using a DTI, and considerable radial movement visible when you rock the wheel.
Nearside wheel has no where near the same amount of play, its almost undetectable.

So what's the crack? Bearings were nice and tight in the housing and the inner races snug to the axle.

Any ideas? I'm thinking there's some movement between the rear ball bearing and the circlip, but the bearing was tight in the housing so thinking a bit of hand force on the wheel wouldn't be enough to shift it.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

About 1mm play at the wheel rim is normal when cold. Without this play the bearing will run too tight when hot.

If its significantly more than than this then it can only be due to faulty bearings or play between the bearings and the hub carrier and/or stub axle.

Worn bearings are easy to diagnose since they will be noisy.

Latest posts