Realistic price for a bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooky73

Reaction score
Hi guys just joined :D

I am looking at getting a bay microbus and have been looking at sites like Kieft n Klok - are their buses decent?

Can you recommend any other places to look?

I have never had a bay but had a T3 Westy for 2 years and got an 03 T4 Westy that I intend to keep so don't need a camper.

Don't really want to get my hands dirty but not after a show winner - just a nice bus lowered a bit with alloys.

What's a realistic price range?

Any other advice would be helpful like what are the brakes like on an early bay? :D

Thats a how longs a piece of string question.
Depends on many things
Total original early bay micro bus in good stock condition, original paint etc, from 9K to 16K.
Original micro bus, no mods bit tatty around the edges some damage to the interior bit and bobs missing, never welded or painted 5K to 9K
Rough but mot'ed van in usable condition not original so body repairs, could do with some TLC 3K to 5K
Heap needs lots of work some body some mechanical 1K to 3K depending on amount of work.

Then mods hot engines suspension upgrades, these can add to the value but they do depend on how well they have been done and the quality of the parts used up graded with CSP parts your probably going to be ok as long and the person fitting them know what they are doing, but working out what they add in value is difficult.

This is just my rough guide I'm sure some of the guys and girls on here probably have a different take on things.

Hi!

KNK have some nice stuff in, can be a little dear though? Might be me though........a few folk on here have used them i think, but ask plenty of questions, get plenty of photo's if you are buying a little blind - common stuff really.

Ask around some of the traders on here, Midland Early Bay, Gadget Boy etc are a couple off my head, best thing to do is have a look at the for sale section to get a idea of what is currently available, and the price, from dealers and private sales. You'll see stock buses and modded ones, the price will vary depending on LHD and RHD, tintop, poptop etc. As you are just looking for a standard microbus, these are normally cheaper to buy, you could get a solid LHD microbus needing no welding for maybe 5k ish (might be less or more depending on condition) You could add some camping stuff like RNR bed, or Z hinges to stock microbus seats if you want to camp away.

As for mods, well so much out there, some folk like stock, nice and simple, but a lowered bus with nice alloys does look the biz, but i like the stock height, and the floaty ride! Horses for courses! I like simples - but if money was more flush.......

Brakes? A stock system is up to the job, after all it's 40 years old, and not up to modern braking - I've a 70 Westy, so stock wide 5 wheels, drum brakes all round, no servo. It all works well, just plan ahead, it'll stop, I can lock my brakes up - just have to press hard (ok, very) but a servo would certainly help no end. You can get remote servo's of Ebay for a MGB for like about £80 ish.
A 71 onwards bus has disc brake front poss with servo, and the servo eases the pedal pressure, wouldn't necessarily stop any better, but may well resist fade. At the end of the day, appreciate the vans, and yours abilitys when it comes to brakes, and you will be fine. I have been up and down Porlock Hill, and Countisbury Hill, here in Devon/Somerset, and they are very steep at 25%, but just go slow - I used 1st for maximum braking on Porlock Hill, ignored the cars that overtook me down the hill, and chilled out, I ain't in no rush, and the brakes coped fine, no overheat, no fading - all long as the brakes are in good condition, something I would want doing on any van I bought, especially a import. Brake conversions such as CSP, or Futbus, or just a Porsche 944 turbo setup will work wonders.

Good luck in your quest!

Cheers!

Alistair

I used KnK, but the exchange rate was much better then, which made for a good deal, they are a bit dearer now ... but then so is everywhere!
If they have a van you like, call T2D as they are agents for them and can probably help, if you want them to.
A microbus will be a tad cheaper than a Westy, but not much it its a good one. Anywhere between 5k and 10k really, which is a big ball park, but condition will make a big diffrence.

also try these guys

http://www.skpvw.co.uk/Vehicles%20for%20Sale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a few buses there for all budgets

Thanks for the replies so far - I agree about the exchange rate making KnK expensive.

I can stretch to 8k for the right bus so will have a look at the links you have suggested.

Thanks again!

fresh in uk, 12 mot, lowered deluxe microbuses, 2 to choose from

http://www.durhamdubbers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you don't need a camper why don't you get a crewcab?

As for prices, 2 - 3k seems to buy you a resto heap, 4k ish buys you a running resto heap, no buses cost 5k (fact, least in my perception :) ) 6k - 9k gets you something relatively nice but maybe needing a tiny bit of fettling. 10k - 12k gets a decently done finished bus. 12k plus for really good low mileage originals.

Of course every category has buses that should be in a different price range in it too, pugged up rotboxes with fresh paint.

regards Stodge

Crewie would be ok but the wife is not keen!

Maybe if a nice one came up - we do a lot of BMX so would be cool for putting bikes in!

Latest posts